Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

I have my moments.....the idea is patent pending. ; - )
I won't tell a soul!
wink.png

The roundworms and tapeworms in dogs and cats are different sub species than the ones that live in chickens. Your dog/cat cant get the same round or tape worms from your chickens and visa versa.

How old should the chickens be before you worm them? Or can you worm them at any age?
You can worm chickens around 12 weeks of age but I would only do so if their environment is one with a high parasite population, ie lots of birds on the property or a climate that is naturally conducive to parasites such a warm/wet.

I deworm my young birds for the first time at 6 months old and I deworm twice a year from there on out.

I don't agree with worming routinely.  I do worm my chickens but only after I KNOW what type of worms they have.

Find a vet who will do a fecal check for you and take him some chicken poop in a ziplock bag.

Then you will know what type of worms your flock has - if any and you can choose a wormer that kills that type of worm.

There are many types of worms and many different wormers.  Don't guess.  Don't lose 24 days of eggs when you don't even know if your flock has worms.

Don't give a wormer that someone on this site likes because that wormer may not kill the type of worms your chickens have.

Pay the $15-20 for a fecal test and find out what you are dealing with.  It will save you eggs, your chicken's health and also money.

You know that is a good point. I was planning to worm mine with something at one point because I didn't feel they were gaining weight and then one came down with a breathing issue. I took her to the vet and since we were going took a sample with me and got her to test it. All clear.

I would have lost all those eggs for nothing which was worth much more than the $20 they charged me.

The big thing I'm getting out of this though you still need to do something regularly be it worm or have a sample checked for worms.
My run is not covered and has become the meeting place for the local wild population.
Time for me to finish the cover and get my birds tested again me thinks.

I've had to worm week old peachicks, but that's because there was a good chance they were exposed to blackhead. As far as I know you can worm chicks at any age with Safeguard or Pyrantal Pamoate. I'm not suggesting that people should, just saying that you can, but one would need to weigh them and calculate a dose base on their weight.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Your post is proof positive that DE and all the rest of the "organic wormers" wont kill worms, as I've been stating all along in other sections in this forum. As you now know, worms weaken the chickens immune system and opens the door for bacteria and viral diseases to invade their system complicating matters greatly.

If I were you, I'd forget the wazine from now on and just use the valbazen, later on down the road purchase safeguard equine paste wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer to worm your birds to prevent worm resistance to one particular wormer.

When you get the valbazen, dose them orally 1/2cc for standards and 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose them again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs. There's a 24 day withdrawal from start to finish.

I highly recommend that you set up a regular worming schedule. Remember, one roundworm can lay thousands of eggs a day to be deposited onto your soil only to be picked up by another one of your chickens to start the worms lifecycle all over again. I worm mine every 3 months due to our warm/moist soil conditions and that is condusive for worms. You might consider worming semi annually or once every 8 months or however you see fit. Good luck.

First want to say Thanks for all the helpful info you have posted. Do you by chance know the dosing for the Safeguard goat liquid wormer for Chickens? :cd

Back
Top Bottom