Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

Quote:
1) An animal's immune system plays a roll in worm infestation and will fend it off to some degree. However, in nature, animals are not routinely penned up and exposed to the high concentrations of worm eggs/segments/etc. like they often are when kept by people; in the wild they roam when/where they want. Animals with weaker immune systems and/or higher level exposures will likely die if left to their own devices. Also, keep in mind that parasites are often species specific, so while some animals may pick up numerous types of parasites, if they pick up the parasite that is "designed" for them, they can actually co-exist with it, asymptomatic, for a very long time.

2) Chemical de-wormers don't persist indefinitely in a chicken's system, and if used correctly, recommended withdrawal periods for eggs/meat will avoid indirect consumption of said chemicals. You also have to acknowledge the fact that if your chickens have worms, then their meat (depending on the species of worm and level of infestation) and eggs are likely to be contaminated by the parasites and may infect you/anyone else that comes in contact with the birds, areas the birds range, their meat, and/or their eggs.

Quote:
Your dog's feces should be routinely checked for worms as well, and treated if necessary (regardless of whether or not it eats chicken poop). It can pick them up the same way that the chickens can.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Our girls will be 20 weeks old on Monday. They are Golden Sex Links (RIR and RIW cross). We just finished treating 5 of them for Coccidia and they are all doing well,
celebrate.gif
except for one who still seems weak (can't seem to make it up to the roost at night
D.gif
) and she feels light compared to the rest.

I am concerned that she may have a worm infestation and so, this morning I treated their water with Pig Swig (Piperazine 17%) and am hoping this will do the job. I should note that she eats a LOT and whenever another hen tries to join her at one of the containers of feed I have put out in their run, she pecks them away:eek: I don't know what that has to do with ANYTHING, but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Since they are all reaching an age to begin laying, I really need to know how long should we wait after worming before the eggs would be safe to eat?
hu.gif

Thank You In Advance
big_smile.png

TW

o.k. i have never wormed my flock. the oldest of them are two years old, the youngest are two months. i have about 30 birds. what do i buy, and how do i administer?

Quote:
Know this is an old post in my reading it. I try real hard not to let any {expecialy pets} around chicken area as you wouldnt want someone that had a chicken farm walk there with the boots that he works in ie cross contamition.The neighborhood dog is probley were the pairsites came from in my thoughts.or they came in with the chickens themselfs.

Wild birds also have worms/parasites. So unless your chickens are kept in a commercial style battery cage then they are exposed to parasites via the wild bird population. Got sparrows around looking to raid your feeders? Other birds foraging in the pasture or any place the chickens roam? I've actually found a worm in my goat's water bucket after a handful of sparrows was there drinking and, of course pooped, in the water.

For those folk's who are determined to use only "natural" preventatives you would be prudent to do a fecal check at least a couple times a year to make sure your chickens are not developing a huge parasite load. By the time they are showing visible symptoms they have undergone an awful lot of damage from the worms.

Back
Top Bottom