Necropsy results, is not coryza or CRD--parasites are rampant!!!

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/21/

This is about peafowl. Experts: will it also work with chickens????
Dawg53, I sent you an email.
So the vet just called and they have capillaria worms. Im now calling around before the feed supply stores close to find out what to buy but want to cover all my ground as far as what to use for that specific worm and suggestions if any here. Thankyou!

Last edited:
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/21/

This is about peafowl. Experts: will it also work with chickens????
Safeguard liquid goat wormer and/or valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer will take care of capillary worms. The OP that started this thread was dealing with capillary worms and was verified by an official necropsy.

Last edited:
so, i have a question - maybe two:

1) how is it possible that there is no natural way to deal with worms? are you suggesting that nature doesn't have a way to deal with this problem? without human superiority, all chickens would die from worms? let me go ahead and say i'm not engaging, or trying to start, a "fight". i'm sincerely curious.

2) how do you justify eating a bird, or an egg, after you've treated them with those chemicals? a horse wormer? you're eating what your chicken eats. i personally find that scary, and am interested in your response. i will openly admit, perhaps i'm not seeing the whole picture.
I question the horse wormer
.I see some natural worm remedies are old wivestails and may not work .Some might too. Hard to say without medical studies. I get that..Want to be safe..
My vet gave me a horse wormer for my 165lb mastiff
When i tried it on her she got feeling very ill.Wouldnt eat for a day,.Lathargic Another Mastiff of mine did the same thing.I have used other round worm wormers for smaller dogs and they never felt a thing...Were fine.
I dont know how horse wormer would affect chickens but if my big dog is any test... not well. There MUST be some other treatment
Puppies get one that doesnt seem to bother them even 1lb puppies. Why not something more gentle like that.
Cant imagine something for a 1000 lb animal would be good for a 7-10 lb chicken in the horses dose tube anyway not MUCH more deluted. Even 1/2CC seems too much to me. My opinion anyway,.

I used a 1/4 cc of Pour-on IverMec cattle wormer for my bantams six weeks ago after I found round worms in their poop and feather mites.. applied the medication directly to their skin on the posterior of their necks.....No more worms and no more mites AND no more worms
thumbsup.gif

I used a 1/4 cc of Pour-on IverMec cattle wormer for my bantams six weeks ago after I found round worms in their poop and feather mites.. applied the medication directly to their skin on the posterior of their necks.....No more worms and no more mites AND no more worms
thumbsup.gif

That's what you think. Ivermetin pour on has little effect on capillary worms and no effect on cecal worms. Large roundworms are showing resistance to it as well due to its overuse as a miteacide in chickens. I quit using ivermectin products.

I just read this whole thread. I have 8 chickens .......4 are 24 weeks old and are laying eggs .......the other 4 are 16 weeks old. After I administer 1/2cc of Valbazen to each of them do they stay on their normal diet till I administer the next dose in 10 days? Also, directly following the 1/2cc of Valbazen should I give them all Poly vi sol vitamins ..... how much? This thread is an eye opener.

I just read this whole thread. I have 8 chickens .......4 are 24 weeks old and are laying eggs .......the other 4 are 16 weeks old. After I administer 1/2cc of Valbazen to each of them do they stay on their normal diet till I administer the next dose in 10 days? Also, directly following the 1/2cc of Valbazen should I give them all Poly vi sol vitamins ..... how much? This thread is an eye opener.

You can give them buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs for a few days after worming them both times if you wish.

Wow. I have 4 chickens and two of them have just started laying. They are 21 weeks old. I was thinking I should go ahead and worm them now before they are really in a routine and I don't lose too many eggs. (I won't be eating the eggs, I'm pregnant so I'm not risking anything there.)

Also, I was wondering. Our chickens are in a run that is about 6'x30' or so. They have ruined the grass and there is poo all about. Should I try to hoe the poo out of the run? We are planning to build another run of the same size adjacent to this one so that we can reseed one once all the grass has been killed.

Luckily, we live in Texas, so the ground is reasonably dry but the dogs and cats still get worms so I'm sure the chickens will too.

I know DE isn't effective against worms, but can I sprinkle in on the ground and in the nest boxes, etc to keep down the incidence of fleas/mites etc? Is it reasonably effective for that?

So I'm thinking do the Valbazen 2x a year? Should that be sufficient? I'm waiting to hear back from my vet to see what he recommends.

Back
Top Bottom