Necrotic tissue after vent surgery (graphic images)

5GodsDown

Songster
Apr 1, 2019
Belgium
Hi all,

I have a little guest over since 3 weeks. Reggie is a 2 year old Serama who's had months of vent issues. As I understand she had some sort of extra hole and necrotic tissue kept building up that had to be removed. During all of this Reggie was doing well and showed no other signs of discomfort. Their former avian vet basically said they'd have to keep removing it, there was no other solution. Reggie's owners were looking for someone to watch her and take care of her while they were moving. Coincidentally they bought a house 10 minutes from me, so I offered to help, but also advised them to maybe get a second opinion from my avian vet who is a lot younger than theirs and might know of other techniques. This proved to be very useful as my vet immediately decided that hole should not be there. She was sedated and the hole was stitched up immediately.

With the help of my vet I was able to regularly clean the vent and get the dead tissue out. After 2 weeks the last stitches had let go too. I'll share some images here:

This was when she got here. I thought it was supposed to be like that as this was the day of the surgery, but it stayed like this for a week.

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-20 at 07.04.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-20 at 21.08.45.jpeg

This is what I took out in the second week:

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-21 at 18.48.50.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-01-21 at 18.50.23.jpeg

And this is how it kinda looks like now, but in the meantime looks even better:

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-27 at 17.57.01.jpeg

The vet is very pleased with the results and it finally looks like a normal vent again. Reggie's owners are relieved too. In theory she is able to go home, but the vet decided it would be better that she's never together with roosters again to stay clear of the risk of another infection. This is a hard one as the owners have roosters and so do I. The other options are that she goes to my grandmother or one of the owner's parents, but then we'd have to make sure the tissue is not building up again. For the last week it hasn't been very obvious for me if the tissue is building up again while it had severily built up again within days before she got the hole stitched up. So I think that's good news.

In any case I'm very proud of my vet for fixing this in no time and I'm happy I've been able to help Reggie. I picked up an old rabbit cage at my sister in law's so Reggie can at least go outside again. I'm also still debating whether or not it's possible for her to stay here permanently, but then I'll have to do some reconstruction works in the coop.

Has anyone of you ever dealt with this? I hadn't seen it before.

Here's the little rascal in all her glory by the way:

82933779_480233202919249_2802392532015644672_n.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-01-20 at 21.08.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-20 at 21.08.45.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi all,

I have a little guest over since 3 weeks. Reggie is a 2 year old Serama who's had months of vent issues. As I understand she had some sort of extra hole and necrotic tissue kept building up that had to be removed. During all of this Reggie was doing well and showed no other signs of discomfort. Their former avian vet basically said they'd have to keep removing it, there was no other solution. Reggie's owners were looking for someone to watch her and take care of her while they were moving. Coincidentally they bought a house 10 minutes from me, so I offered to help, but also advised them to maybe get a second opinion from my avian vet who is a lot younger than theirs and might know of other techniques. This proved to be very useful as my vet immediately decided that hole should not be there. She was sedated and the hole was stitched up immediately.

With the help of my vet I was able to regularly clean the vent and get the dead tissue out. After 2 weeks the last stitches had let go too. I'll share some images here:

This was when she got here. I thought it was supposed to be like that as this was the day of the surgery, but it stayed like this for a week.

View attachment 2016042 View attachment 2016047

This is what I took out in the second week:

View attachment 2016045 View attachment 2016046

And this is how it kinda looks like now, but in the meantime looks even better:

View attachment 2016050

The vet is very pleased with the results and it finally looks like a normal vent again. Reggie's owners are relieved too. In theory she is able to go home, but the vet decided it would be better that she's never together with roosters again to stay clear of the risk of another infection. This is a hard one as the owners have roosters and so do I. The other options are that she goes to my grandmother or one of the owner's parents, but then we'd have to make sure the tissue is not building up again. For the last week it hasn't been very obvious for me if the tissue is building up again while it had severily built up again within days before she got the hole stitched up. So I think that's good news.

In any case I'm very proud of my vet for fixing this in no time and I'm happy I've been able to help Reggie. I picked up an old rabbit cage at my sister in law's so Reggie can at least go outside again. I'm also still debating whether or not it's possible for her to stay here permanently, but then I'll have to do some reconstruction works in the coop.

Has anyone of you ever dealt with this? I hadn't seen it before.

Here's the little rascal in all her glory by the way:

View attachment 2016063
Great job! That picture of her sitting on the container of mealies should be submitted to the Caption pictures thread! Too cute.

I am really not an expert on vent problems, but I wonder if the extra hole was where the cloaca and oviduct meet, and there was a little prolapse. In any event the cloaca can become clogged with poop and urates, and sometimes papillomas can be there. Whatever the cause, glad that you have described what was done and that she is recovering. Hopefully, you can find her a good home.

Back
Top Bottom