NEE HELP ASAP very sick chicken

I've been giving her sulmet. I feed her several times a day of high protein food and I have her a womer medicine yesterday her poop is just bright yellow and doesn't look like the one I posted earlier it isn't clear I'll put in a pic later

What wormer medicine did you give her? Safeguard? Valbazen? Are you tubing her or are you just feeding her with a syringe? These things do make a huge difference. If she has blackhead she needs metronidazole, period.

-Kathy

It think the brand is rooster booster I'm puting food like in her mouth and she'll swallow it then I her her water with the sulmet using a syringe what is blackhead

She does not have blackhead
You asked for thoughts and I have given mine.
big_smile.png

fl.gif

-Kathy

FYI, for water she needs about 100ml per 2.2 pounds per day, maybe more. Not all at once of course.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Sulmet is not the best choice for her.

Last edited:
Bright yellow poops can sometimes be from E.coli infection which can be common in egg yolk peritonitis. It also can be common in blackhead, which as I posted earlier, is rare in chickens, but does exist. A vet can check for cecal worms in a stool sample, and those are the cause of blackhead in chickens. A vet also could give you Baytril or a good antibiotic if they think it is EYP and E.coli.

Bright yellow poops can sometimes be from E.coli infection which can be common in egg yolk peritonitis. It also can be common in blackhead, which as I posted earlier, is rare in chickens, but does exist. A vet can check for cecal worms in a stool sample, and those are the cause of blackhead in chickens. A vet also could give you Baytril or a good antibiotic if they think it is EYP and E.coli.
You know I'm all for trips to the vets, fecals and gram stains, but I read somewhere that even when a bird has blackhead that very often evidence of cecal worms are not found, but I can't remember why.
idunno.gif
Perhaps it's due to the damage done to the cecal pouches. Need to find that, I think it was a pretty good write up on it.

And you're right... it is rare in chickens, but it is a possibility. Had *many* peas and turkeys with it, but only two chickens with it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
You know I'm all for trips to the vets, fecals and gram stains, but I read somewhere that even when a bird has blackhead that very often evidence of cecal worms are not found, but I can't remember why.
idunno.gif
Perhaps it's due to the damage done to the cecal pouches. Need to find that, I think it was a pretty good write up on it.

And you're right... it is rare in chickens, but it is a possibility. Had *many* peas and turkeys with it, but only two chickens with it.

-Kathy
Yes Kathy, I know that you have had many cases. How else can a vet tell there is blackhead without finding the cecal worms? I thought that was how you diagnosed it. I haven't ever seen it in my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom