Need a better feeder

MTKitty

Crowing
Aug 14, 2021
MT
I have a round gravity feeder suited for 25 birds (according to the advertising propaganda). It has three legs that raise it 2-3 inches off the ground. And the crumble doesn’t go through it well enough to keep the bin full.

I was out three times today and had to shake feed down to get where the featherheads could reach it. It wasn’t obvious when they were smaller as they didn’t eat as much. It wasn’t obvious before now because they’ve been able to graze their yard and seem to prefer that.

But two days of bad weather keeping everyone inside is what caused me to realize it. So! Long story short (too late!), what are better options than this doo-hickey for feeding crumble?

B40F3434-973C-43A6-8364-89E82A1531E3.jpeg

After a bout with metal toxicity in our sweet little Silkie, Peanut, our research shows that galvanized feeders are less than desirable because the birds can pick up zinc from the galvanized metal. Do with that what you wish...

Since farmers have been using galvanized metal feeders for generations I suspect that quality of manufacture and condition make a big difference. I pitched a galvanized waterer that rusted faster than plastic can go brittle and crack. :)

Which is another reason to keep it sheltered from the weather.

Ooooo, I really like the rain cover and adjustability. I need to check TSC for availability and price in my area.

Although, if I were totally honest, the cover wouldn’t do much good outside for me. Seems like any storms that drop rain or snow also come with enough winds to blow all the wet sideways. OTOH, it would ward off acrobatic show-offs demonstrating their balancing skills atop the feeder.

I made a shelter for my feeder/waterer. The feed stayed dry through Zeta last fall.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

It seems to be hit or miss as to which feeders suit crumble better and which suit pellets better.

Of the ones I have these seems to do better with crumble:

View attachment 2865234

And this does better with pellets:

View attachment 2865236

After a bout with metal toxicity in our sweet little Silkie, Peanut, our research shows that galvanized feeders are less than desirable because the birds can pick up zinc from the galvanized metal. Do with that what you wish...

The chickens do pick out the pebbly bits, so the dust does seem to “rise” to the surface if the food trough. But it doesn’t interfere with heavier pieces trickling out as much as the other feeder.

Every couple weeks I run my feeders as empty as possible then dump all the fines they didn't eat into a pan to serve it as wet mash.

They think it's a treat. ;)

I also like soaking the fines. Y'all might consider feeding them more often then every few weeks though. Some of the nutrients are digested better or utilized better in smaller quantities.

Since this is pellet dust rather than the powders from a mixed-grain feed it probably doesn't make a difference for *me,* but if I were using a mixed-grain feed I would certainly feed it wet or fermented.

I have a round gravity feeder suited for 25 birds (according to the advertising propaganda). It has three legs that raise it 2-3 inches off the ground. And the crumble doesn’t go through it well enough to keep the bin full.

I was out three times today and had to shake feed down to get where the featherheads could reach it. It wasn’t obvious when they were smaller as they didn’t eat as much. It wasn’t obvious before now because they’ve been able to graze their yard and seem to prefer that.

But two days of bad weather keeping everyone inside is what caused me to realize it. So! Long story short (too late!), what are better options than this doo-hickey for feeding crumble?

View attachment 2865208
I use this one but use pellets instead of crumble. No issues with 8 ladies.

Back
Top Bottom