Need a better feeder

I have a round gravity feeder suited for 25 birds
the crumble doesn’t go through it well enough to keep the bin full.
I use this 15 lb Galvanized feeder hanging from the ceiling.
20211014_130209.jpg

It's adjustable to 3 positions.
I've used Crumbles for years on the middle position and have been using mini-pellets in the same position for a couple of months.
It's also available in a 30 lb size.
I got it at TSC. GC

I have a round gravity feeder suited for 25 birds (according to the advertising propaganda). It has three legs that raise it 2-3 inches off the ground. And the crumble doesn’t go through it well enough to keep the bin full.

I was out three times today and had to shake feed down to get where the featherheads could reach it. It wasn’t obvious when they were smaller as they didn’t eat as much. It wasn’t obvious before now because they’ve been able to graze their yard and seem to prefer that.

But two days of bad weather keeping everyone inside is what caused me to realize it. So! Long story short (too late!), what are better options than this doo-hickey for feeding crumble?

View attachment 2865208
Following because I have the same feeder and challenges with crumble.

I have one of each of these. The bigger one for the chickens and the smaller one for the guineas. I used to have that blue one you have. These make life so easy. the bigger one fits a whole bag of crumbles.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...iODwxcrzAhWkc98KHXInAy8Q9aACegUIARCZAQ&adurl=
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...jliODwxcrzAhWkc98KHXInAy8Q9aACegQIARBr&adurl=
Those are pretty nice, but priced where I would budget for a future purchase. I’d also need to consider where in the coop to mount it, as wall space is a premium.

I use this 15 lb Galvanized feeder hanging from the ceiling. View attachment 2865723
It's adjustable to 3 positions.
I've used Crumbles for years on the middle position and have been using mini-pellets in the same position for a couple of months.
It's also available in a 30 lb size.
I got it at TSC. GC
Ooooo, I really like the rain cover and adjustability. I need to check TSC for availability and price in my area.

Although, if I were totally honest, the cover wouldn’t do much good outside for me. Seems like any storms that drop rain or snow also come with enough winds to blow all the wet sideways. OTOH, it would ward off acrobatic show-offs demonstrating their balancing skills atop the feeder.

Ooooo, I really like the rain cover and adjustability. I need to check TSC for availability and price in my area.

Although, if I were totally honest, the cover wouldn’t do much good outside for me. Seems like any storms that drop rain or snow also come with enough winds to blow all the wet sideways. OTOH, it would ward off acrobatic show-offs demonstrating their balancing skills atop the feeder.

I made a shelter for my feeder/waterer. The feed stayed dry through Zeta last fall.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

It seems to be hit or miss as to which feeders suit crumble better and which suit pellets better.

Of the ones I have these seems to do better with crumble:

View attachment 2865234

And this does better with pellets:

View attachment 2865236

After a bout with metal toxicity in our sweet little Silkie, Peanut, our research shows that galvanized feeders are less than desirable because the birds can pick up zinc from the galvanized metal. Do with that what you wish...

After a bout with metal toxicity in our sweet little Silkie, Peanut, our research shows that galvanized feeders are less than desirable because the birds can pick up zinc from the galvanized metal. Do with that what you wish...

Since farmers have been using galvanized metal feeders for generations I suspect that quality of manufacture and condition make a big difference. I pitched a galvanized waterer that rusted faster than plastic can go brittle and crack. :)

Which is another reason to keep it sheltered from the weather.

Back
Top Bottom