Need a better feeder

i have grandpa feeders and various other feeders. the hog feeders are cheap...take off the "doors" and they hold enough for weeks with 25 chickens. i use back roll outs, hog feeders, and auto water and can leave for 2 weeks without somebody checking on my chickens

I use stainless steel dog bowls set into heavy crocks (and a plastic ice cream carton until I find a crock or dog bowl the right size.) Extra grit fills the extra space in the crock, under the dog bowl. The crocks are set on cement blocks to get them above the deep bedding.

This is scaled for 5 chickens but I think it would scale up.

I also like soaking the fines. Y'all might consider feeding them more often then every few weeks though. Some of the nutrients are digested better or utilized better in smaller quantities.

I also like soaking the fines. Y'all might consider feeding them more often then every few weeks though. Some of the nutrients are digested better or utilized better in smaller quantities.

Since this is pellet dust rather than the powders from a mixed-grain feed it probably doesn't make a difference for *me,* but if I were using a mixed-grain feed I would certainly feed it wet or fermented.

Back
Top Bottom