Need a breed recommendation!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lucy4, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have four 9 month old pullets: two BO's, and two EE's. I'm thinking of adding a couple more next year, but not sure if I want to try a new breed or not. These are my requirements:

1) Cold-hardy birds.

2) Good layers

3) The most important! Breeds that are known to make good "pets". I know a big part of that is the time you put into caring for your birds, and I certainly do. My kids play with them all the time, so I like to make 'em friendly. My BO's are totally wonderful. They are so good with the kids. One of my EE's is a sweetie, and the other is the opposite. She used to attack me, until I gave her a couple thwacks on the head and now she at least has some respect. I've heard with ameraucanas that there's not much of a standard when it comes to personality, since they're bred for egg color anyway. ? (I will say that both EE's are fabulous layers.)

Anyway... does anyone have a recommendation? I'll be joint ordering with a pal from McMurray, so plenty of options there! Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I would try mypetchicken.com. there is a breed selector tool there, and you can pick the basic characteristics of your bird or birds ( cold hardy, broodiness, how many eggs you want it to lay in a week, rare/fancy, how docile,ect.) and it will find birds that match your preferences. hope this helps!

3. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    I don't know how cold-hardy either of these breeds are, since I live in Georgia, but I think either Australorps or Rhode Islands would be a good choice. They both lay a lot of eggs and can be docile depending on how much you handle them. I have a Rhode Island hen that is as sweet as can be.

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Can't beat Plymouth Rocks. You can get them in a variety of color patterns (barred, blue, black, white, splash, partridge, buff). They are VERY friendly, curious critters and are cold hardy

I have them in Blue, Black, Splash, Barred and Partridge

5. Lucy4

Thanks, y'all! That's a great site, and I really appreciate the other rec's as well. Now I have something to limit my research down to, and that's very helpful. [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Black Australorps - I have 7 of them...love them and great layers, good pets and quiet (or so mine are)

7. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
  8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    black jersey giants

9. CALIFORNIA WHITES [​IMG]

They are very friendly and lay tons of eggs!!! and I am not sure about how cold hardy they are?

Matthew

10. Lucy4

This is great. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by