Need a broody RIR

marcus connor

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Eastern Texas
I have about 11 RIR's ,but I want to raise some for meat. I know they are not the broodyest birds but I want them to sit on their eggs, how can I make one go broody.

You can try to leave some fake eggs maybe several in the nest while you take out the real eggs until of one them goes broody.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem because they aren't a very good bird for sitting on eggs... One of mine is a 50% broody. She sits on eggs all day but never stays on them for longer than a day or so. Please help us other people! :)

You can try to leave some fake eggs maybe several in the nest while you take out the real eggs until of one them goes broody.
I have tried with some golf balls but it doesn't seem to understand. I am going to try to use lavender sent,so it would feel relaxed when sitting.

Really, despite all of the encouragement, there isn't anything that will really MAKE a hen go broody. It is either in that particular hen to go broody or it isn't. I myself keep a silkie on hand just for the broodiness. You can raise one breed for while using a hen from another.

Really, despite all of the encouragement, there isn't anything that will really MAKE a hen go broody. It is either in that particular hen to go broody or it isn't. I myself keep a silkie on hand just for the broodiness. You can raise one breed for while using a hen from another.
xs 2 RIR's were bred NOT to be broody. Like Jaded said, there is no way to MAKE a hen go broody. Some breeds (and RIR are one) it seldom happens. Doesn't mean you won't ever see one. Silkies are notorious for broodness, I have 4 and in the year-year and a half I've had them not a single one has ever gone broody. Now my bantams want to every time I turn around. I would consider incubating yourself or getting a hen from a more broody known breed to keep in your flock.

Back
Top Bottom