Need a GOOD thermometer & hygrometer - HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Jan 17, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    And I don't care what it costs - I'm fed up with bad hatches. I just opened the rest of the eggs from my hatch and only a few were infertile; the rest had chicks that failed to hatch and I know it was due to the temp and humidity.

I was looking at this one, but can you use it in a Hovabator with the turning racks in? I'm confused:

https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/3018 instructions.pdf

I've always used the Accurite combos from Walmart for around $8 but no two ever measure the same and I'm tired of guessing and opting for a happy medium.

Please tell me what works for you and where I can get it. I use still air LG's and Hovabators. Thanks!

2. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    You know, when I went to my local pet store to buy thermometer/hygrometer EVERY SINGLE ONE read something different... regardless of price!!!! They were ALL in the same store, on the same rack, within inches of each other so shoulda ALL READ THE SAME [​IMG]

What I did THEN; got a $26 flukers hi/low therm/hygrom combo, and it worked out fine- 9 outta 10 eggs hatched on my first attempt..

What I would do NOW (after continuing to read a LOT of threads/posts)... There are ways of checking accuracy of both, I wish I could post the links here, but dont remember exactly where they are... came across several posts randomly in reading up on temps/humidity levels... Maybe try a "search" to find the info ???

Basically there were ways to check your thermometer using ice water, etc., AND a way to check hygrometer by setting it in a a zip-lock baggie along with a cup of salt/water paste.... you leave it "locked" in there for 8 hours or so, SHOULD read 75% humidity, if it doesn't, then you add or subtract whatever the difference is to know what actual humidity is (example: if it comes up reading 80%, then you know to subtract 5% from whatever it's reading).

Good luck, and I found the whole innacuracy thing to be REALLY ANNOYING, but it worked out okay for me (& my chickies [​IMG] ) in the end!!

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks - I'll check into the Fluker's. I've read alot of the threads about wet bulb vs dry bulb, relative humidity, and all that other scientific stuff but it goes way over my head. [​IMG] I just want something I can look at and feel comfortable that it's right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by