Need a little info about Welsummers...

claud

Songster
12 Years
Dec 12, 2007
PA
I'm on a waiting list for some Welsummer eggs. I've been reading up on the breed but want to get some info from Welsummer owners.
I've read some contradictory info about their broodiness - do they go broody often/sometimes?
And what kind of temperment do they seem to have?
I have Cuckoo Marans(nice, calm, friendly breed that seems to be broody all the time), a Wyandotte(calm but keeps her distance - broody often) and a very old RIR(nice, calm, friendly - never broody). Just for comparison.

Mine never seem to be inclined to be broody nor show it. They just deposit the egg and move on LOL!

Temperment wise, they are sweet and curious and some of them are laid back and first to come for the treats. Thats a requirement of the breed. If you ever get a nasty one, I would cull him or her off the flock.

I've had Marans and Barnvelders but the Wellies takes the cake for me on their beauty, temperment, disposition and egg laying and egg colored terra cotta are sure hard to beat.

I dont like the Ideal, Privett or Meyers Welsummers, some dont have the temperment nor the egg color or wrong feather colors so avoid those if you can. Best bet to get them from a reputable breeders here in BYC!

PS I dont have any hatching eggs right now. Not until fall.

I have a flock of Welsumers and I really like them. At first they were very shy and distant, but since I started spoiling them rotten with treats (their favorite is yogurt) they have warmed up to us nicely. They are very calm and collected, unlike my EE that try everything they can to get out of the pens and peck each other. The Welsumer roo is just a big ole sweetie. He takes very good care of his hens and will stand outside of the laying box till a eggs is laid. Then he will look in the box and see an egg and go nuts with excitement.

I say go for the wellies. I am about to set some eggs. Wish me luck

I used to breed Welsumers in various colours back in Britain. They weren't particularly friendly by nature & we didn't try to make them so.
They are not bred to go broody & are classified as a "non broody breed". That said, chickens of any breed can go broody. We had one or two welsumers with broody tendencies & a couple of times I let them hatch their eggs. On both occasions they were terrible mothers & kept losing their chicks, leaving them in various places around our farmyard peeping piteously.
sad.png

I think Wellies are great all-around birds. The two roos I've had have both been calm, reasonable fellas -- and they're what I think a roo really ought to look like. The girls are calm, the eggs are great. Can't ask for much more!

I have 2 from last April from Welps hatchery. They are sweet but LLOOOUUUDDDDD!!! If you were close to me you could have them!
big_smile.png

I would echo EweSheep's comments.

I would also say that out of about 30 Welsummers I did have one hen go broody. Got rid of her for it too! LOL

Lastly, do a search on BYC for "Welsummers" or even me as the Author and you'll find more discussion on why NOT to get Welsummers from a hatchery.

God Bless,

Back
Top Bottom