Need a Mac & Cheese Recipe

Quote:
This receipe is REALLY close to what we do although we do a slightly different mix of cheeses (I'm not a huge fan of cheddar)... but the extra special something that DH does when he makes it (he's my homemade mac & cheese expert)... before putting it into the oven he takes 2 or 3 slices of bread and puts them into an automatic chopper - pouring melted butter ontop (not too much, but enough to moisten)... he then uses the buttered breadcrumbs to heavily sprinkle over the top - and then throws it into the oven. I don't know why, but this just seems to MAKE the dish beyond delicious! Yum yum yum.
love.gif

This is my recipe. I am a retired chef and write like a chef... For instance the term MIS EN PLACE means to have everything you need prepared IN IT'S PLACE. It is also a state of mind both in the kitchen and in my life. Enjoy.

Colder weather is upon us and nothing hits home like my baked ziti and cheese... Enjoy

Mis en Place:

1 lb. cut ziti

1 medium onion small dice
3 Tbls Corn Oil
2 Tbls butter
1/4 cup white flour
pinch Herbs de Provence
fresh grating of nutmeg
3 cups half & half
12 oz grated cheddar
1 cup grated mozz/provolone cheese

1 cup grated parmesan
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Prehean oven to 400 degrees

Preparation:

Bring 5 qt heavily salted water to boil, meanwhile place corn oil in hot dutch oven - when oil is very hot add onions and saute until clear, then add Herbs de Provence, nutmeg and some fresh cracked pepper - allow to simmer 30 seconds - then add the 2 Tbls butter, once melted add the 1/4 cup white flour and stir with a wooden spatula every minute for about 4 minutes - the flour should take a golden brown (dirty blonde) color - now you have a lovely nutty roux. Slowly add half and half to roux all the while stirring with a whisk. Let simmer about 5 minutes.

Now add ziti to the rapidly boiling water, stir well every minute so ziti does not clump up. After 3 minutes add the cheddar and mozz/provolone blend cheese to your (basically a bechamel) sauce and stir well, reduce heat and ladle in about 1 cup of the now starchy pasta water to the cheese sauce. Cook ziti a total of about 5 minutes - remove from water with spider basket to the sauce. Stir in well. (You want the pasta VERY el dente so it cooks in the sauce and thickens the sauce and absorbs the cheese flavors). Once the pasta/sauce is well combined cover with 1/2 the bread crumbs - then spread on the grated parmesan cheese and then the remaining half of the bread crumbs. Pop into a preheated 400 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes - the end result is divine..

Last edited:
Miss Pyour GrandMother and mine must have been related ! I was taught to make the Mac and Cheese the same way.
Sometimes I add a little thinly sliced onion to the top and cover with bead crumbs .
I tried to teach my oldest this also but she always heads to the store for that boxed fake cheesy mac. yuck.
sickbyc.gif

I like it with thinly sliced fresh tomatoes placed over the top of the casserole before baking. I also like buttered crumbs on top before baking. Sometimes I use a dry stuffing mix, mixed with some melted butter on top, esp. if I am using tomatoes.

Thanks MP!
frow.gif

I made this for dinner, its on the stove cooling off. Its looking delicious, cant wait to dig in.

*(I used mozzerela instead because I ran out of the other stuff)

Not sure how Mozz will taste. However, I do know to advise you to never make it with gouda. LOL

I use medium and sharp cheddar for the inside and mild for the top. YUm!

I know that DH prefers to use the three cheese "Crumbles"... I don't know what combo those are but he likes them because they grease up less?
hu.gif
Dunno, but I say don't mess with perfection. He's such a tease - he told me he was going to make that tonight for dinner and bailed out on the idea because "it takes too much time".

Grr...
rant.gif
don't mess with my set frame of mind. I wanted Mac and Cheese by gosh darn it all!
barnie.gif

Hehe

Back
Top Bottom