Need a Mac & Cheese Recipe

I make mac n cheese all the time and its always gone in a flash.

1 lb macaroni noodles
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream (or half and half)
4 TBS butter
4 TBS flour (heaping)
8 ounces Velveta (you can add more if not cheesy enough for you)
1/4 cup white cheddar (optional)
Salt to taste (optional but usually needed)

Par-boil your macaroni noodles before hand - until they are just about aldente. set aside

Warm milk/cream in glass measuring cup. Set aside. Melt butter in pan - add flour - cook for about 2-3 mins to cook flour taste out (roux mixture). When flour turns "crumbly" its cooked down enough (it almost looks melted if that makes sense). Add milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cut up Velveta and add into roux until combined and melted. You can add in the 1/4 cup white cheddar cheese if you want, I do on occassion, or just omit, either way it tastes fine with or without. Will be like a gravy and very creamy.

Mix macaroni noodles into cheese sauce, set in a caserole dish and put into oven set at 300 for about 30 mins give or take. (Keep checking to ensure no burning - and stir it occassionally) It will look a little soupy at first when you first put it into a casserole dish but it WILL thicken very nicely given the marcaroni has starch in it and will help thicken the sauce even further.

Never lasts in our house... this tastes just like Stouffers almost.. but... MUCH BETTER you may need to add some salt to taste, just a pinch.

If you have leftovers and want to reheat this - add a little milk to it and cover, it will come back just as creamy as when it first came out of the oven.

My MIL makes mac n cheese the old "southern way" (eggs/custard type) and while its good, I just dont care for it as much this method (roux).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom