1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need a Mac & Cheese Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by debilorrah, Mar 21, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

One that will work with an overload of cheese. Ken has to have TOO MUCH CHEESE!

Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I cook my macaroni noodles in salted water and drain and set them aside to steam and remove excess water.

Then I make a cream sauce - milk/cream (2 cups or so) and butter (2 tbsp) heated over medium heat. Grate as much sharp cheddar cheese as you think your milk and pan can hold and stir until the cheese is melted (I often grate an entire brick of cheese - say 1/2 pound or so). Beat 2 large eggs and temper with the hot milk sauce then incorporate into the sauce pan with the rest of the melted milk/cheese sauce. Once everything is mixed well (don't let the eggs clump and become scrambled (yuck) ) pour over macaroni and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.

Butter a casserole pan and pour the noodles and sauce in. Cover the top with grated mild cheddar cheese and bake at 375 until the sauce is bubbly and set and the cheese is just turning golden.

Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Oh thanks! Now I am drooling. Time to make up a super big batch and freeze it in smaller batches.... mmmmmmmmmm.

Missprissy, what purpose do the eggs serve? My recipe is similar, except I usually brown a T of flour in the butter and then add the milk and cheese... I've never used eggs though.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The egg makes it a macaroni and cheese 'pie' (as my grandma would say) - think custardy and creamy cheese type filling holding it altogether.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

OH THANK YOU!!!! YUM! My recipe is simpler than that that the cheese clumps. ICK!

6. Okay I'm going to make Mac and Cheese, now...

Be back later [​IMG]

Good thing I was already fat before BYC [​IMG]

7. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    1 box Kraft Mac n' Cheese
    1 lb ground sausage
    diced green pepper ( to taste)
    diced onion (to taste)
    fresh or dried basil

Cook mac and cheese as usual. In a seperate pan, cook sausage until it loses its raw color, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add basil, then stir into cooked mac and cheese.

I drain the sausage first before mixing it with the mac n cheese. You wouldn't think it would be good, but oh my goodness, it is really good. The basil really makes the dish in my opinion. I

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:This made me laugh!!! I am right there with ya!!! LOL.

9. [​IMG] Okay that easy as pie Mac and Cheese MP posted is Yummy! Two big bowls later I am stuffed too much to move. Go make some! I never would have thought to put eggs in there!

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Duck eggs make it even better.

Trivia - who is responsible for macaroni and cheese as we know it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by