Need a Mac & Cheese Recipe

I cook my macaroni noodles in salted water and drain and set them aside to steam and remove excess water.

Then I make a cream sauce - milk/cream (2 cups or so) and butter (2 tbsp) heated over medium heat. Grate as much sharp cheddar cheese as you think your milk and pan can hold and stir until the cheese is melted (I often grate an entire brick of cheese - say 1/2 pound or so). Beat 2 large eggs and temper with the hot milk sauce then incorporate into the sauce pan with the rest of the melted milk/cheese sauce. Once everything is mixed well (don't let the eggs clump and become scrambled (yuck) ) pour over macaroni and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.

Butter a casserole pan and pour the noodles and sauce in. Cover the top with grated mild cheddar cheese and bake at 375 until the sauce is bubbly and set and the cheese is just turning golden.

Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.

Oh thanks! Now I am drooling. Time to make up a super big batch and freeze it in smaller batches.... mmmmmmmmmm.

Missprissy, what purpose do the eggs serve? My recipe is similar, except I usually brown a T of flour in the butter and then add the milk and cheese... I've never used eggs though.

The egg makes it a macaroni and cheese 'pie' (as my grandma would say) - think custardy and creamy cheese type filling holding it altogether.

Okay I'm going to make Mac and Cheese, now...

Be back later
lol.png

Good thing I was already fat before BYC
roll.png

1 box Kraft Mac n' Cheese
1 lb ground sausage
diced green pepper ( to taste)
diced onion (to taste)
fresh or dried basil

Cook mac and cheese as usual. In a seperate pan, cook sausage until it loses its raw color, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion and pepper and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add basil, then stir into cooked mac and cheese.

I drain the sausage first before mixing it with the mac n cheese. You wouldn't think it would be good, but oh my goodness, it is really good. The basil really makes the dish in my opinion. I

Back
Top Bottom