Need a shopping list

reedwoman814

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
Interlochen, MI
I'm searching for a guide to tell me what exactly I need to buy to get started. I know I need to get a heat bulb for my heating lamp. I know I need a large container to raise 6 chicks for a few weeks. I know I need starter feed, though have no clue what that means or if there are different kinds or how much... And I think I need some special little feed and waterers for the brooder box? I hear the word grit, though unsure if thats an actual name for a specific thing... And not sure how soon you offer it... From my understanding I won't need electrolytes because I'm getting them local, not shipped.

Ok someone give me a shopping list... Lol 😆 I need a Chicken Manual for Dummies.

Buy chick starter. That's what it's called. There are different brands. It comes in a form called crumbles that's small enough for chicken chicks to swallow.

Get the biggest plastic tub you can find. Clear is best because that way the chicks see you coming from the side. If you loom overhead like a hawk, they'll be afraid of you. They may be anyhow. Baby birds are more jumpy than older ones. It's just instinct--a survival thing.

If you cut out a big square from the lid and screw hardware cloth over the hole (use washers), that will be super useful. Otherwise, don't use the lid.

You can buy an infrared brooder plate for a more natural sleep experience for the chicks. (Amazon--I got the cheaper knock-off, which works fine.) It is a square tile-thingie on four legs. The tile heats up and the chicks have their backs brushing against it when they want the warmth. The height is adjustable.

Or you can buy a brooder lamp and a heat bulb. (or you can use both as I do.) I use the brooder plate the whole time and use the lamp for the first several days. Bulbs come in a number of variations. Some like the red ones; some like the white. I like black ceramic reptile bulbs. They're pricey, but they heat well and put off no light, so the babies can have a more natural night's sleep. (And so can you because they won't be constantly crying due to the bright (or red) light that keeps them awake.) Amazon again, or a local pet store, etc. These bulbs aren't available every department store, but they can be found.

If you have modified your lid as suggested, you can take off the crossed bulb-protecter wires and set your lamp face-down on the hardware cloth.

Thermometer to lay on the floor of the brooder so you have some idea of the temp down there. Often the hatchery will send one with the chicks.

Puppy pads or paper toweling to cover the bedding for the first 2-3 days. This discourages the eating of bedding materials such as pine shavings. It gives the babies an opportunity to learn what is food and what is not. I put a little bit of starter crumble in a lid (mason jar sized or similar) and sprinkle some around on the puppy pad.

Bedding. Equine pellets are nice, if you can find them. Coarse rather than fine pine (not cedar) shavings. Usually I get stuck using fine anyhow because the coarse ones are nowhere to be found. In that case, you NEED chick grit. (Yes, that's what it's called.) Grit is your chickens' teeth. They swallow it, it lodges in their gizzards and grinds up their food (and their not-food). They will eat bedding. You cannot stop them. When they do, the grit will grind it down for them.

Feeder There are many kinds. Most folks start out with the self-filling bottle kind. They have colorful "flying saucers" that screw onto a plastic bottle (or small-mouthed mason jar). The "saucer" has holes all round for the babies to eat from.

Waterer, same as above, only the saucer part is just an encircling trough.

Congratulations! You will love having chickens!

BYC is a Chicken Manual For dummies and experts alike.
You do need a coop for your chickens. Don't let the wagon get ahead of the horse.
Here is a link to thread with many coop pictures, and ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here.596294/
Even when you just get chicks, they grow quickly, and need housing faster than can be anticipated.
Get a bag of Starter Chick Feed crumbles. I suggest medicated, which will prevent coccidiosis.
You do not need chick/chicken grit, until you start to feed other things like scratch seeds, and vegetables.
I do not know at what point you are to having actual chicks, but you are correct to ask what you are not sure of. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I think everyone's lists will be slightly different, but:

- If using a heat lamp, I strongly suggest skipping the feed store bulb (unless you're brooding a large amount of chicks in a large space) and going to the reptile section of a pet store and picking up different wattages of bulbs there.

- Your brooder box should be sized appropriately for the number of birds. You're getting 6 so I'm aim for at least 6 sq ft floor space. Also plan on making a breathable (such as wire mesh, window screen) cover for it, by the 2nd week the chicks will easily be able to jump out of most boxes/tubs.

- Starter feed of your choice (medicated, not medicated, organic, conventional, etc) - if you're not sure what you want to use post links to what you're considering.

- Feeders and waterers don't have to be complicated, I've been so lazy I've used paper plates or cat food dishes for food. With the waterer, it's important to keep the water level shallow so if you're not using a waterer specifically made for chicks you'll need to add things like marbles to it to prevent chicks from accidental drowning.

- Grit is simply crushed rock. Chickens don't have teeth so they swallow rocks to crush their food instead. I provide it immediately by sprinkling a tiny bit on their feed every few days. You don't need to provide it if you're feeding a crumble feed and nothing else, but if you're offering treats or raising them outdoors (where they're picking up stuff and eating it), grit should be offered. Once they get older I stop adding grit to their feed and offer it on the side.

Thank you all so much! This is fantastic! Coop plans are already being discussed and we will walk the spot and start working on physical plans this weekend. I have about 3 weeks before my brood is hatched, and hope to have the coop finished by then. I want to start picking up needed items as soon as we can. Especially if I have to order on Amazon and wait for shipping. With the current situation, I don't want to risk something important not showing up on time. I am just a few minutes from a TSC and a Blains, though, so hopefully I'll be covered. I'm getting them from a small local breeder rather than a hatchery, so I will add thermometer to my list.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. You are already getting great information. You have come to the right place, no question is too silly. There are lots of helpful people to answer any questions you have. There are also lots of great articles to help with education. Good luck with your chicks and keep us posted on how you and they are doing. We love hearing stories and especially seeing pictures.
Love the Wilder quote. :love

Back
Top Bottom