Need a sympathetic group....

Grog

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 1, 2011
This is not about chickens..... It is about waterfowel.<----sp?

We HAD 6 Pekin and 1 each chinese white,brown and pilgim geese.

HAD being the operitve word on sunday Sept 25 I discovered most of them had been killed. a duck and MY pilgrim were still alive but had to be put down
sad.png

After talking with my neighbor to be sure their dog had not gotten loose I really checked the tracks around the pond. We were hit by a Fisher( a HUGE weasle thing) It killed all, but ate only 1.

I called Game and Fish and they admitted to repopulating them over the last 10 years and now having proof of breeding. A neighbor(who lost water birds too) said they saw/talked too a game warden who released the animals just 2 days prior to the slaughter. I called G&F they said they were sending a Warden out, no one showed. At this point I am thinkin forcefull lead poisioning for the critter(I will find it). G&F are supposed to pay when this happens so in the morning I guess I am calling again. These are the first predator deaths I have ever had. I have had dog kills before. this was just terrible cause my fam was so upset.

Thx for the vent guys

How awful for you, your family, and your poor birds! It makes me wonder: when the decision was made to repopulate the area with Fisher, what did the game wardens think those animals were going to eat?
rant.gif

who owns the pond? and why didn't they bother to tell you..really sorry to hear about this, we used to have ducks and geese too years ago...
Not real happy with dnr myself, I guess it's a gov job isn't it...what's with the entire gov thing lately? Once they get in they act better and smarter than us civilians...I was watching a comercial where' they' are telling 'us' to leave wildlife alone etc, all the while handling a 3 mo old bear cub - oh that's responsible huh. Can't send that one back into the wild
Everytime the gov steps in with mother nature they screw it up

Its my pond, but we are new to the area. the birds had been on the pond for 3-4 months and no issues. I feel bad cause we almost demanded that the neighbors put down their dog(they would have if he had been loose too). The foxes havent even takin a chicken in the 3 years we have been here. They use the Fisher to controll porcupines, but I havent even seen roadkill in 3 years so I cant figure why the new critters are being turned loose.

Are Fisher Cats protected by Game and Fish Wardens? If they are being protected then I'd advise calling the police on them about it and you can even sue them

I would be soooo angry with those Fish and Game people for relocating them onto your property, especially if you have water fowl! I think they should have to pay restitution to you, and also trap and release those Fishers somewhere else, like in a natural park, not into your backyard.

You should have some type of rights. If they didn't cooperate, those fishers would....ahem....disappear.

I'm so sorry this happened!
hugs.gif
Fishers were released here also to help control the porcupine "problem" Unfortunately the Fish and Game commission are the only ones who think there was a problem. Those of us that actually live in the woods see less of them then skunks, deer, raccoons etc. This goes the way of those adorable little lady bugs. They were released to rid the trees of pests, but nothing eats them.....so now, we're left with these smelly little critters in our houses/garages/attics. Ever squish one?
sickbyc.gif
Sorry...I digress (that often happens when I discuss this topic!) Fishers have no local predators and the idea that they would kill some porcupines then not damage other local wildlife/livestock is ridiculous! What F&G thought was going to happen is anyone's guess, but other then a "we're sorry" they don't seem to be doing a thing about it!

I sure hope you get restitution out of them!

Back
Top Bottom