Need advice! 2 weeks of older chickens bullying the youngsters! Am I doing this right?

JRUSCH21

Hatching
Jun 14, 2021
We’ve introduced 3 new chickens (6 months old) to our existing flock (5 hens, 1 rooster). We had a fence in their large coop dividing them for about six weeks prior to physical introduction. Of course, the three newcomers have been bullied (mostly from our 2 rhode island reds and 1 rooster) but no blood or injuries. It’s been 2 weeks living together now and the new chicks still huddle in the corner often when older chickens come near and the smallest one (cream Brabanter) still gets bullied daily. Will this ever end or should I remove the new chickens permanently? They don’t free range but the coop and run are very large. I’m trying to be patient but also don’t like the bullying still happening after weeks! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Here are pictures of the coop, the run extends into the back and wraps around, not all pictured. The photo of the chickens are the youngsters, the photo was taken 2 months ago (4 months old then).

View attachment 2719102
View attachment 2719109
View attachment 2719111View attachment 2719113
The coop is very good size. Is there now a roost over the poop board? Centered over the board at least 12" from the wall? I've found that positioning the roost about 13" over the surface of the poop board keeps the head pecks to a minimum at roost time.
The dowels attached to brackets on the walls are too close to the wall and too narrow to be good perches for the birds. A ramp up to the poop board will help the ones that don't want to fly up get up to the roosts.
As mentioned by @rosemarythyme, your run is devoid of "clutter". Clutter to us is unsightly and chaotic. Clutter to a chicken is paradise. The more things you have in there for them to fly up on and dig around in, the better.
What litter are you using in the run?
Does the run get any sun during parts of the day for sun bathing?

We’ve introduced 3 new chickens (6 months old) to our existing flock (5 hens, 1 rooster). We had a fence in their large coop dividing them for about six weeks prior to physical introduction. Of course, the three newcomers have been bullied (mostly from our 2 rhode island reds and 1 rooster) but no blood or injuries. It’s been 2 weeks living together now and the new chicks still huddle in the corner often when older chickens come near and the smallest one (cream Brabanter) still gets bullied daily. Will this ever end or should I remove the new chickens permanently? They don’t free range but the coop and run are very large. I’m trying to be patient but also don’t like the bullying still happening after weeks! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Can you please post pictures of your coop and run?

I was unsuccessful integrating with my RIR. Unfortunately, this is a typical behavior of them. So, guess what??
I have another coop and run! The RIR do get to free range and the crazy thing is they visit my other coop throughout the day and will make every attempt to peck at or grab the others inside the run via the fence.
My neighbor has the sweetest Wyandotte that use to visit everyday and got caught in the RIR coop one night. Unfortunately but fortunately she did because her flockmates were killed by a racoon that night. But, my RIRs & EEgers beat her up bad and she has never come back. :(
I do love my RIR and EEggers that grew up together and have their own peaking order, but I now have two coops and runs to keep everyone happy.
I hope you are more successful at intregrations than I was..
I wish you luck!!

Yes, some batches of chicks take longer to integrate.

Yes, the youngsters will be their own group until point of lay.

we’ve integrated many batches of chicks. Some with a momma hen, most on their own. We use a fence to keep them in their own area for a few weeks, then prop it up to allow them access into/out of their fenced “safe” area, but not the full grown chickens. Then fence is removed, but they still sleep in their barn brooder at night, and finally integrated to sleeping in the coop about a week later. Usually, this works pretty well. However, one batch was getting badly harassed by a few other hens…constantly, all day. And we have lots of run space, multiple feed stations, and some “clutter”. We ended up adding three roosts in the run in different areas. Everyone was much happier and the chicks would not get harassed on the run roosts!

so, add in roosts if you can. Add in some visual disruptions so they can get out of sight of the older hens. Just don’t make any dead ends where one could get cornered. A scrap piece of plywood propped against the fence or wall, an old wagon, a chair, etc can all work to this purpose.

good luck!

Question on that - (we're still rather new to this) - What is the lowest height the fencing could be and does it need to be covered? I understand the predator piece but I'm asking about the cover because we do have a rooster and the entrance to the coop would still be a small hole. Thank you for all this advice! I love this message board!
Lowest height to keep chickens in? Depends on your birds and how slim/heavy/active they are, but an average sized bird can fly over a 6' fence.

For YOUR comfort, having a run that's tall enough to walk into (if covered) is something I consider essential. So for an average height person I'd still go with a 6' fence.

We've been considering another coop since we have the space, but we don't want to give up just yet!
I don't blame you. I had to because I was trying to integrate a Polish breed. I learned they are docile and the head/crest attract pecking. So, now I have a coop of Polish Girls Only! Lol
Life is Great!!!

Attachments

• 20210221_165221.jpg
    20210221_165221.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210506_171428.jpg
    20210506_171428.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210615_031601.jpg
    20210615_031601.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 9
Here are pictures of the coop, the run extends into the back and wraps around, not all pictured. The photo of the chickens are the youngsters, the photo was taken 2 months ago (4 months old then).

Coop1.jpg

Coop2.jpg

Coop3.jpg
Coop4.jpg

The coop is very good size. Is there now a roost over the poop board? Centered over the board at least 12" from the wall? I've found that positioning the roost about 13" over the surface of the poop board keeps the head pecks to a minimum at roost time.
The dowels attached to brackets on the walls are too close to the wall and too narrow to be good perches for the birds. A ramp up to the poop board will help the ones that don't want to fly up get up to the roosts.
As mentioned by @rosemarythyme, your run is devoid of "clutter". Clutter to us is unsightly and chaotic. Clutter to a chicken is paradise. The more things you have in there for them to fly up on and dig around in, the better.
What litter are you using in the run?
Does the run get any sun during parts of the day for sun bathing?
They all actually roost on the three lower areas, rather than the upper area (no roosts up there). I've never considered the dowels being too thin or too close to the wall but I can easily install new ones to give it a try! I always thought they like huddling together for warmth, 3 or 4 usually go on one dowel at a time and the other bars stay empty.

They get about 3-4 hours of sun per day, too many trees! and I know they love the sun so we've been considering adding poking a hole in that run and adding fencing for a larger area. Question on that - (we're still rather new to this) - What is the lowest height the fencing could be and does it need to be covered? I understand the predator piece but I'm asking about the cover because we do have a rooster and the entrance to the coop would still be a small hole. Thank you for all this advice! I love this message board!

Back
Top Bottom