Need advice about Green fire

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I want to order chicks from Green Fire. However they recommend a Juvenile pair since I would be ordering less than 12. I only wanted to order 4. $99. ea.

I do live near a main Postal processing plant and that is near the Airport (Handcock in Syracuse,NY)

They won't guarantee the chicks. I don't know if this is the 72 hours or just no DOAs.

I'd prefer the chicks as that would give me a bigger gene pool.

So could I have some advice please ,

Thanks
Rancher

Here's my advice about Greenfire:

Unless you just have money to burn, the same birds can be had at more reasonable prices elsewhere. I think even if I had money to burn, I personally would not purchase from them because I do not believe in doing businesses with companies that are obviously price-gouging their customers.

To the OP you may do better with the juveniles. If they will not guarantee the chicks I would not risk it.

OK I am going to have a tiny little rant. I am tired of hearing all of the negative comments about Greenfire's prices. They are a business and are in business to make money. They have a product and they have decided what they want for it. Now it is a simple business principal that things are only worth what someone will pay for them. Greenfire has sold many chickens at their listed prices and as such have brought in more rare breeds to the US because there is a market for it (if there wasn't they would be out of business). Over the past year or 2 as some of their stock has become more prevalent in the market Greenfire has lowered their prices to be more competitive (just look at the price decrease on their Coronation Sussex). Whether the prices are too steep for one individual or not is one thing but to accuse them of price gauging rare chickens is silly.

Quote:
I agree- and I have stayed out of it so far-especially on the Silver Sussex or not thread- They have very nice stock, and if you don't want to pay the price- Simple- Dont order from them. They are -from our dealings- very nice people, and we have been extremely happy with the stock from them- We recently got chicks and they made it fine-no losses. They ship express only as far as I know.

I agree with her. Save your money and have patience. These breeds by the end of the year the prices will drop dramatically. Price-gouging is the right term for this breeder. They are selling $5000 for chocolate orpingtons.

Quote:

Because of the intense interest expressed in the color genetics of this variety, we intend to offer juvenile pairs of these bantam Orpingtons at a significant discount –$399 per pair– in order to quickly distribute the chocolate gene throughout America

Taken from Greenfire Farms website today-

Quote:
I have looked for these birds elsewhere and one person has them and wants $255.00 for 6 hatching eggs. We all know the risk in ordering hatching eggs.

Quote:
I have not searched e-bay, and have not seen what I'm interested in on this site. I am however aware of how unscrupulous people who sell on e-bay can be. Lord have mercy! I have looked and only one other carries something that Green Fire has and they are not nice. No one else carries what I'm interested in. Sussex of any type have become pretty common and they are not what I'm looking for.

Green Fire does not have the market on greed. I'm much to old to know that. I also know that if I pay $99 a chick there are those who won't pay what's fair for all my work and expense. No offense intended.

Rancher

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom