Need advice ASAP about fertile egg that hasn't hatched!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kcdef, Aug 13, 2016.

1. kcdef

kcdef Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    My bronze hen has successfully laid on her nest and hatched 8 out of 11 of her eggs. Today is day 28. I assume all the hatching occurred between yesterday (I saw part of a bloody shell next to her nest yesterday, but not baby) and today. She officially got off the nest a couple hours ago and laid elsewhere with the 8 babies. Nearby, but no longer on the nest.
    I took the 3 remaining eggs inside and candled (something I'm not very familiar with). Two were definitely duds - I cracked them and confirmed that. But the third clearly had veins and a dark, chick-shape. However, there was no movement at all that I could see. Am I supposed to see movement or fluttering of some kind if it's good? I threw it in an incubator that I have quail eggs in right now.
    So, my question is, how long do I wait before I try to crack the egg and help the baby out (if it's alive or if you're even supposed to do that..), or how long do I give it in the incubator before tossing it?
    Please advise! This is my first batch of turkey poults.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. KayHartZZ

KayHartZZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Awww congratulations!! 8 out of 11 is a really really good hatch, she should be so proud of herself! I'd leave the egg in the incubator until tomorrow and if it hasn't hatched by then well...eight is enough :) :) I say just give the egg that long at most because if doesn't hatch by then it's a - getting pretty old and b - if over a day older than her other poults I think you'll have a hard time sneaking him/her back in to her. I'm not sure about seeing movement or flutters but I have heard peeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by