Need Advice for Abnormal Air Cells

mapurcel

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Norfolk County MA
Hello all,

I recently received bantam eggs in the mail, candeled them, and noticed two of them have unmoving air cells on their side. I read online I should keep them vertical in the incubator (no turning) the first 7 days of incubation, and then keep them again during the lockdown and hatching.

How long should I incubate them vertically? Should I keep them in a clear plastic egg carton so bacteria doesn't grow? I don't think the cardboard can be that humid and hot and still be safe.

Thank you,
Alex

Hello all,

I recently received bantam eggs in the mail, candeled them, and noticed two of them have unmoving air cells on their side. I read online I should keep them vertical in the incubator (no turning) the first 7 days of incubation, and then keep them again during the lockdown and hatching.

How long should I incubate them vertically? Should I keep them in a clear plastic egg carton so bacteria doesn't grow? I don't think the cardboard can be that humid and hot and still be safe.

Thank you,
Alex
I have a couple duck eggs in the incubator-also shipped-also have damaged air cells. There was more but shipping destroyed any chance of hatching. I left the eggs in their shipping box for 24 hours. For four days these eggs were not turned and sat in the incubator completely vertical. They are now sitting pretty much horizontal but with the pointed end slightly down. Days 5, 6, and 7 the eggs were turned twice a day. I am now doing three times a day and the eggs will soon be on their second week. So far so good.

I would not use the cardboard either.

How did you set the eggs vertical? What did you use? Have you checked the air pockets to see if they moved to the correct position?
I'm using an Intelligent 7 egg incubator. The egg holders are much like an egg carton in shape. The air cells did move but are still irregular in shape. Today IS the 14th day and tomorrow I'm moving the eggs under a broody hen as I almost always have problems with humidity come hatch day. I candle these eggs every day just to see the changes.

I started with 9 eggs in the incubator even though I was sure it was hopeless for many of them. While the incubator is made for seven, nine fit with a little ingenuity.

Back
Top Bottom