NEED ADVICE! Have chickens but no coop. Lookimg for affordable options

My gf and I currently have 14 chicks. We are getting another 30 next week via delivery. We have probably 4 weeks before we have to move the chickens out. Due to the layout of my back yard I am wanting to have a 20x20x8 run/coop. We are utilizing our shed for this, but the materials to build a run is approximately the same as building one(including my time). I am here asking for tips to minimize my expense cause I am a frugal guy, and want to save my money for more chickens. I am also looking for affordable, pre-built options as well. Many thanks in advance.
Least expensive is chain link dog run. Check out Tractor supply. We started with a 10x10 x8 high that includes a door & roif cover for around $400. Then bought more wall panels that are 10', to make entire area 10x20. They are super easy to put up, and easy to cover open roof area with chicken wire. 1 -2' high hardware cloth around the bottom keeps little ones in and rodents out. Can't beat chain link for strength. It was overall under $800 including chicken wire & hardware cloth, which was less than lumber, etc. Easy set up, although the walls are a little heavy for 1 person

Don't use chicken wire.....It's useless against most predators. Put wire on the ground as well. Build your own. Prefab are junk and will warp quite soon. Take the time, find the time.,...do it, or sell of your birds before you get in too deep. You must have a safe spot for the 24/7/365 and the colder months, tho quite a while away will be here before you know it and you'll be screwed and they will have a lousy life. Plan....plan....plan and then plan some more. Impulse leads to death and abuse. They are "people" too!!!

That is a LOT of chickens and a lot of poop! You are going to need a fully protected coop and run (hardware cloth all around and buried a foot deep in the dirt or buried concrete footings) , auto watering and feeding system, and a way to keep the coop clean (scoopers, rakes, pine shaving and or sand) which will be expensive whether you build it from scratch or buy prefab. Not sure why you are getting so many, but maybe just start with the 14, and expand next year? They need a lot more room to be healthy than you might imagine. And if this is your first go round, it might go better with fewer to worry about. After all the time it took me to build my coop and run, and then redesign and expand it when it was too small, I could've bought a really nice prefab. Good luck!

You really should have had this figured out long before you got the first chicks. If you don't have a space for the first 14, why the heck do you have 30 more coming? This is very poor planning and there is no one to blame but yourself. Maybe you will get it figured out soon.

To me it sounds like you have 2 options.....
---find the time to convert your shed...
----or, open your wallet.

Now, there is a chance to MAYBE find one on craigslist, or at least the supplies to build one from there. Ask around in the feed mills and see if someones taking down some outbuildings... if you help, or will at least clean it up, they will usually give you the things you need. The good news is, with a secure coop and run, roost for their fluffy butts, a nest box or 5... (you are going to have quite a few birds), food and water.... you WILL have the summer to complete the shed. Winter is a while away, and as long as they are secure... time to complete will be probable.

I have seen on some of the sites they have a hardware kit with all the braces, etc and plans for bigger coops for less than $100, they give you the whole lumber list. Here's an idea- why don;t you teach your gf how to do some of it? I'm 63 and recently built my first rabbit hutch, now doing my first coop. I have my own tools- granted most are from garage sales and Harbor Freight, but they work. I have made some mistakes, but mostly they are cosmetic ones.

I used a kids cedar playhouse. Modified the windows, added nesting boxes and raised it of the ground. Here is a picture of it in progress. We added a heavy duty wire mesh for windows and run.

Attachments

• 46413128_10217209482606606_4986119613730258944_o~2.jpg
    46413128_10217209482606606_4986119613730258944_o~2.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 11
I just bought an Amish built 8x12 building. I would have liked to build one but with the stock market as it is I didn’t want to spend that much money on materials and labor right now. I’m paying $139 a month for the building, that works for me! I bought 100’ x 6’ roll from Stromberg’s sale for $116 delivered. Now all I need is 4x4s!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom