Need advice on a bully/pecking problem

Lizzieo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Hartford, CT
I have four hens, all the same age that have done very well together for about a year but recently my Wyandotte has started pecking my Ameraucana (who is much smaller than the other three). The Ameraucana is almost bald from all the pecking. I separated the Wyandotte in a small dog crate inside the run ad have only let them all be together when they are free ranging in the yard. I was hoping the bring the Wyandotte down a peg or two to stop the bullying but now one of my Orpingtons is also pecking the Ameraucana. What should I do? I am in the process of building a small add-on to the coop/run for new birds that are coming in a few weeks but it is not done yet. Should I move the two "peckers" to the new space or should I move the Ameraucana. I am afraid if I separate her that she will just be pecked again when I have to put her back in when the little guys arrive. Any bright ideas? Thanks!

It sounds like the Wyandotte might be a bored bully and needs something to do instead of bossing around the poor Ameraucana! Do you give them kitchen scraps to eat so they can occupy themselves with that for awhile? Does the Ameraucana have red skin where she has lost the feathers which make the chickens interested to peck at her more--if so I would spray the bare skin with Blu-kote which will paint the skin a violet blue which might discourage them. Here is a good website to look at for pecking problems. They hang a cabbage up to get the chickens to focus and peck on that which I think is a great idea. http://hencam.com/faq/pecking-order/

I do give them kitchen scraps, almost every day and I let them out of the coop/run to free range as much as possible. I am an Urban chicken keeper so it is not always possible to give them as much time out as possible. I wil ltry giving them more treats and things to do.

So far there has not been blood with the feather plucking/pecking but I am worried it will get worse. I just need to get busy and finish the extra space to put the Wyandotte so she can be really separate from the others before my new birds come. Thanks!

Now I am not the most experienced person in the world having only had my chickens for about a year but I have had the same problem in my flock with the barred rocks picking on my orpingtons where I have one who is pretty "naked" and we have had bloody butts... I just last week bought some pine tar AND decided that the rocks were going to have to go... Now that having been said ... over this past week I have made a real effort to give my chickens other things to do... there is a great thread on this site about chicken "toys" and that gave me a ton of great ideas.

I have hung a turnip for them to bat around and peck at ... I also hung a cabbage in their pen... I used the green wire corn cob baskets with cobs of dried corn and hung those around. I hid some apples in a flake of hay... I have put mealworms in the wobbly dog toy that they can peck at and get treats and I have noticed that the pecking has stopped feathers are growing in.... and I have a happy little flock.... I have not had to use the pine tar as of yet (which is good cause I don't really know how)

so this is just my experience....
good luck

Back
Top Bottom