Need advice on confronting egg begging family members...

He should know "family comes first" is a two way street. If they don't want to spend the money, perhaps they have something to offer in exchange for eggs.
I agree.

There's just the two of them, and I don't think they use a lot of eggs. But yes, evidently they will occasionally buy store bought eggs. I think they (her husband moreso than her) prefer fresh eggs to store bought though. The thing is, I almost never give them the large eggs (because my husband sells them to his coworkers). I give them bantam eggs (which is what we as a family eat, to reserve the large ones). They KNOW I don't sell the bantam eggs...that I use/cook with them.

My S-I-Law's husband told hubby that "family comes first" when dh mentioned to him last week (after being asked if we had eggs they could have) that we're barely getting enough eggs to sell to his coworkers. So I do think he believes he should not have to pay for eggs, since we have them and we're family... I understand his mentality - because I think he was raised to "share what you have." But someone offering to share is different from going asking/expecting...

Sounds more like he was raised to take advantage, not share. Being raised to share implies understanding the concept of give and take and appreciating what one is given to benefit each other. He doesn't seem to know how to give (pitch in for feed) nor does he seem to appreciate that it costs you time and money and he is expecting to take food off of your plate and money out of your pocket by expecting eggs even when you don't have extra to give.

Family comes first. But you have to draw a line when that "family" is taking advantage of you. And in this situation, the customer comes first since they're paying to feed your flock, and by default paying to help feed you.

I'd tell them "Sorry we have none to spare."

If they have the nerve to bring up that YOU still have some to eat or that you're still selling some. Point out that YOU do the work to feed your family and that it costs money to keep chickens for eggs and your customers have made it possible that they received the free eggs they have thus far.

If they want more eggs, they can buy them to help pay for feed / younger hens.

Last edited:
I had to tell My Neighbors that My Chickens are My Hobby (labor of love). And I'm not supplying Them with Free Eggs While They spend "Their Money" on Beer,Pot and other Drugs. I Supply Free Eggs to those that help Me ,older members in the area ,and My Kids. Others pay Me 3.00 a dozen . Except one family friend that visits every other week bringing a 50 lb bag of Egg pellets in return for 4 dozen Eggs.

Back
Top Bottom