Need advice on moving with my chickens — SoCal to Seattle

Pics

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
Hi.
I’m planning on moving from Southern California to Seattle in the next couple months. I have 10 chickens that are pets and I need to figure out how to transport them safely to Washington. I will also be traveling with two small children. The road trip, which I have done a few times is a two 3 day/2 night trip.
I will definitely need to stay in a hotel for 2 nights because of my kids. I was thinking I could rent a u-haul maybe and let the chickens run around in there while we’re at the hotel, then put them in crates during the drive?
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Hi.
I’m planning on moving from Southern California to Seattle in the next couple months. I have 10 chickens that are pets and I need to figure out how to transport them safely to Washington. I will also be traveling with two small children. The road trip, which I have done a few times is a two 3 day/2 night trip.
I will definitely need to stay in a hotel for 2 nights because of my kids. I was thinking I could rent a u-haul maybe and let the chickens run around in there while we’re at the hotel, then put them in crates during the drive?
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!!
The first thing that you need to do is to contact the State Agricultural Department in Washington (State Veterinarian) and find out what tests and paperwork that you need to have done on your chickens in order to legally bring them into the state of Washington. All states have import regulations for all birds and animals which includes pets. Your pet chickens will fall under their poultry import regulations.

You should be able to just crate them during the trip. Folks do it all the time for shows and such, the birds are sometimes crated and caged for days on end.

Couple of tips for long distance travel with birds:
I like to attach feed and water to the sides of their carriers for the trip.

Starting about a day before the trip, I give them Pedialyte to help them stay hydrated.

Travelling with the birds in a darkened area might be a little less stressful on the birds, but be sure to give them some light and opportunity to eat and drink periodically on the way!

Riding with birds in the cabin of your car or SUV is a highly fragrant experience if you are going very far. Not my first choice.

Good luck!

Second, contacting state vet. Try to make contact with the state animal health vet in home state, states you might be passing through, and new home state. Not all states require the same health paperwork. Also might want to check with the California Animal Health Commission about their Virulent Newcastle Disease quarantine area. I don't know its current status, or where you live in relation to it, but I'd hate for you to accidentally drive through it and have problems (not illness issues, but legal ones).

:lol::gig:lau
Like that ever happens.
:lol::gig:lau
Ok, true, but sometimes we sound like a bunch of cops and lawyers with our "blah blah blah, don't do that, it's illegal, you CAN'T!" stuff. Especially when it comes to issues like keeping chickens in town, trying to help wild animals and hawk problems. I think that it scares a lot of new people away, and it's... um, redundant, to say the very least. When half the thread has nothing to do with the OP's question and has become a legal minefield of "you can't do this", we sure don't seem very inviting.

How many people cross state lines with their dogs, every single day, without a single thought as to vet clearance or import legalities?

People do care about inspections. These are the law, and they protect people who's livelihood comes from poultry. Your birds in a highly stressed scenario are a biological risk.

If you cross state lines, you need to do it correctly. It would be much better to leaves these birds in the state they are in for the birds, and get new birds in your new home. This would give you time to have that area would be properly set up.

Long distant travel is hard on animals. It can be done, but it is not uncommon for people to loose animals, and people that do not routinely move animals often times run into the most trouble because they are using makeshift methods to do so.

Mrs K

To people that make their living raising animals, it is a big thing, not a germaphobe.

And it will be hard on the birds. I have moved animals, and it is a big responsibility. Makeshift set ups can cause over heating, spilt water becomes a lack of water, cramped areas can cause fighting and feather picking. Piled up manure is a real part of this and disposal of that manure is difficult on the road. Then you put these highly stressed birds into a new set up, where who knows what germs are there. They will be susceptible to new germs. These are all real possibilities.

The advice above of doing this at a separate time, from when the family moves is very good advice.

Pretending that this will be a easy deal is irresponsible in my opinion. I was not trying to be rude, I was trying to avoid a wreck where the birds have a good chance of either dying, becoming sick or being injured.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom