Need advice on moving with my chickens — SoCal to Seattle

:lol::gig:lau
Like that ever happens.
:lol::gig:lau
Ok, true, but sometimes we sound like a bunch of cops and lawyers with our "blah blah blah, don't do that, it's illegal, you CAN'T!" stuff. Especially when it comes to issues like keeping chickens in town, trying to help wild animals and hawk problems. I think that it scares a lot of new people away, and it's... um, redundant, to say the very least. When half the thread has nothing to do with the OP's question and has become a legal minefield of "you can't do this", we sure don't seem very inviting.

How many people cross state lines with their dogs, every single day, without a single thought as to vet clearance or import legalities?

How many people cross state lines with their dogs, every single day, without a single thought as to vet clearance or import legalities?
Dogs are different, however, I get your point.
To the OP, I'm wondering if a u-haul would have adequate ventilation, especially if the weather is warm. Any chance of a second driver, and renting a van to haul the chickens separately?

We're planning to move from MO to OR this year and I'd like to bring at least a few chickens....do some western states actually have agricultural inspections? I've seen it at FL border, they confiscated fruit we had. I wouldn't want that to happen to chickens....
Let us know how it goes, please.....

Understood...
...won't comment further(and I could go onandonandon) to avoid thread drift ;)
Lol yes, thank you. I also have had to hold my tongue on this thread today.

Chicken transportation methods can vary a lot, but I don't think that they need like, free range time on the trip or anything. Feed, water, bedding changes. They'll be good for a few days.

I wouldn't care checking with the state health department or anything, I'd just drive my merry way through...... no one knows and I doubt anyone highly cares. Renting a U-Haul truck and letting them run amok might work, just hope no one hears the chickens during your stay at a motel and decides to call security or whatever. Driving from SoCal to Washington shouldn't take more than a 1 1/2 - 2 days, no?

I wouldn't care checking with the state health department or anything, I'd just drive my merry way through...... no one knows and I doubt anyone highly cares. Renting a U-Haul truck and letting them run amok might work, just hope no one hears the chickens during your stay at a motel and decides to call security or whatever. Driving from SoCal to Washington shouldn't take more than a 1 1/2 - 2 days, no?
I never even considered the noise the chickens might make during motel stays! That is funny!!

When we travel, we 'camp' in Walmart parking lots. Lots of people do this, RV-ers, and truckers and people sleeping in their cars. We've seen a truck w a horse in its trailer staying overnight, so bringing livestock does happen. Walmart, unless restricted by county/city ordinance, welcomes the extra business this brings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom