Need advice on moving with my chickens — SoCal to Seattle

Yes, a utility trailer ... maybe this link will work, sorry about first on ... https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Utility-Trailer-Rental/AO/ - nope link does work right ... they make other sizes ... it is a 5'X8' open top trailer, it has small sides ...

Chickens get hauled down the road every day on open flatbed ...
Links just went to main home page...see below.

Sure hundreds of chickens going to slaughter, not really a great idea for BY birds, IMO.

upload_2019-1-11_19-39-23.png

I would be concerned about temperature and ventilation in back of a uhaul(trailer/truck?)
And the mess they'll make over three 24 hour cycles...
....could be a hell of a clean up fee :lol:.
I would be concerned about temperature and ventilation in back of a uhaul(trailer/truck?)
And the mess they'll make over three 24 hour cycles...
....could be a hell of a clean up fee :lol:.
Yeah... I thought some kind of disposable bedding would be a good idea. That smell, it stays with you forever.

Links just went to main home page...see below.

Sure hundreds of chickens going to slaughter, not really a great idea for BY birds, IMO.

View attachment 1639710

Yeah I know ... I mentioned right in the post you quoted that the link still didn't work ... and what it was by discription (which is actually spelled out in the link!)

You didn't like the idea of putting them in an enclosed truck/trailer, or in a semi-open trailer covered up some ... do you have an actual helpful suggestion for the OP?

Lots of critters get moved down the road in the back of pickup trucks or livestock trailers ... not going to the butcher.

I don't go to chicken shows, maybe figure out how the thousands of chickens arrive at a national show get there???

Other option is put them in a shipping box and mail them ...

Chickens are going to need some type of ventilation ...

I still think the semi-open trailer is the best way ... is the OP planing on taking their coop too? If so ... get the right size trailer, and strap it on the trailer, put chickens in the coop, drive ... ;)

We're planning to move from MO to OR this year and I'd like to bring at least a few chickens....do some western states actually have agricultural inspections? I've seen it at FL border, they confiscated fruit we had. I wouldn't want that to happen to chickens....
Let us know how it goes, please.....
.Yes there are. I've had to stop in WY, UT and CA hauling horses. I've hauled pullets to Neb via WY but they just rode in the back and i did not stop.

People do care about inspections. These are the law, and they protect people who's livelihood comes from poultry. Your birds in a highly stressed scenario are a biological risk.

If you cross state lines, you need to do it correctly. It would be much better to leaves these birds in the state they are in for the birds, and get new birds in your new home. This would give you time to have that area would be properly set up.

Long distant travel is hard on animals. It can be done, but it is not uncommon for people to loose animals, and people that do not routinely move animals often times run into the most trouble because they are using makeshift methods to do so.

Mrs K

What were they looking for? Did they inspect your horses, require paperwork?
It's just a vet clearance slip. An NPIP certification works well too!!

To the OP: going north you don't have to worry much. Coming south into Cali you do get stopped. So even without vet clearance you will be fine. Please don't let people tell you you need to get rid of your birds, or that this is too much stress on them or not doable.

I live close to the Oregon-California border. Coming INTO California you get stopped, going north into Oregon and Washington are no problem. The whole I-5 corridor up to the Canada border is clear for your journey. It's just us Californians who tend to be weirdo germaphobes, I guess.:idunno

Last edited:
Another thought... this doesn't involve the actual transport however... is there any way your birds can be moved at a different time than you are moving your family? A few weeks early or a few weeks later? It just might be easier to coordinate and less stress if it was its own thing and not part of the big move of everything and everyone, just something to think about. I can also see wanting to do everything all at once just to get it over with.

Back
Top Bottom