Need advice on moving with my chickens — SoCal to Seattle

To people that make their living raising animals, it is a big thing, not a germaphobe.

And it will be hard on the birds. I have moved animals, and it is a big responsibility. Makeshift set ups can cause over heating, spilt water becomes a lack of water, cramped areas can cause fighting and feather picking. Piled up manure is a real part of this and disposal of that manure is difficult on the road. Then you put these highly stressed birds into a new set up, where who knows what germs are there. They will be susceptible to new germs. These are all real possibilities.

The advice above of doing this at a separate time, from when the family moves is very good advice.

Pretending that this will be a easy deal is irresponsible in my opinion. I was not trying to be rude, I was trying to avoid a wreck where the birds have a good chance of either dying, becoming sick or being injured.

Mrs K

Dogs are different, however, I get your point.
To the OP, I'm wondering if a u-haul would have adequate ventilation, especially if the weather is warm. Any chance of a second driver, and renting a van to haul the chickens separately?
Good point!!! Thank you

Yeah I know ... I mentioned right in the post you quoted that the link still didn't work ... and what it was by discription (which is actually spelled out in the link!)

You didn't like the idea of putting them in an enclosed truck/trailer, or in a semi-open trailer covered up some ... do you have an actual helpful suggestion for the OP?

Lots of critters get moved down the road in the back of pickup trucks or livestock trailers ... not going to the butcher.

I don't go to chicken shows, maybe figure out how the thousands of chickens arrive at a national show get there???

Other option is put them in a shipping box and mail them ...

Chickens are going to need some type of ventilation ...

I still think the semi-open trailer is the best way ... is the OP planing on taking their coop too? If so ... get the right size trailer, and strap it on the trailer, put chickens in the coop, drive ... ;)
Our coop is a built structure in our yard, about 100 square feet, so we only have crates to transport them.

Yeah I know ... I mentioned right in the post you quoted that the link still didn't work ... and what it was by discription (which is actually spelled out in the link!)

You didn't like the idea of putting them in an enclosed truck/trailer, or in a semi-open trailer covered up some ... do you have an actual helpful suggestion for the OP?

Lots of critters get moved down the road in the back of pickup trucks or livestock trailers ... not going to the butcher.

I don't go to chicken shows, maybe figure out how the thousands of chickens arrive at a national show get there???

Other option is put them in a shipping box and mail them ...

Chickens are going to need some type of ventilation ...

I still think the semi-open trailer is the best way ... is the OP planing on taking their coop too? If so ... get the right size trailer, and strap it on the trailer, put chickens in the coop, drive ... ;)
Our coop is a built structure in our yard, about 100 square feet, so we only have crates to transport them.

Back
Top Bottom