Need advice on moving with my chickens — SoCal to Seattle

Pics

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
Hi.
I’m planning on moving from Southern California to Seattle in the next couple months. I have 10 chickens that are pets and I need to figure out how to transport them safely to Washington. I will also be traveling with two small children. The road trip, which I have done a few times is a two 3 day/2 night trip.
I will definitely need to stay in a hotel for 2 nights because of my kids. I was thinking I could rent a u-haul maybe and let the chickens run around in there while we’re at the hotel, then put them in crates during the drive?
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Hi.
I’m planning on moving from Southern California to Seattle in the next couple months. I have 10 chickens that are pets and I need to figure out how to transport them safely to Washington. I will also be traveling with two small children. The road trip, which I have done a few times is a two 3 day/2 night trip.
I will definitely need to stay in a hotel for 2 nights because of my kids. I was thinking I could rent a u-haul maybe and let the chickens run around in there while we’re at the hotel, then put them in crates during the drive?
The first thing that you need to do is to contact the State Agricultural Department in Washington (State Veterinarian) and find out what tests and paperwork that you need to have done on your chickens in order to legally bring them into the state of Washington. All states have import regulations for all birds and animals which includes pets. Your pet chickens will fall under their poultry import regulations.

The first thing that you need to do is to contact the State Agricultural Department in Washington (State Veterinarian) and find out what tests and paperwork that you need to have done on your chickens in order to legally bring them into the state of Washington. All states have import regulations for all birds and animals which includes pets. Your pet chickens will fall under their poultry import regulations.
Thank you!!! I had no idea about that. I will definitely contact them! :)

Hi.
I meant it is a 3 day, 2 night (in hotel) trip **

You should be able to just crate them during the trip. Folks do it all the time for shows and such, the birds are sometimes crated and caged for days on end.

Couple of tips for long distance travel with birds:
I like to attach feed and water to the sides of their carriers for the trip.

Starting about a day before the trip, I give them Pedialyte to help them stay hydrated.

Travelling with the birds in a darkened area might be a little less stressful on the birds, but be sure to give them some light and opportunity to eat and drink periodically on the way!

Riding with birds in the cabin of your car or SUV is a highly fragrant experience if you are going very far. Not my first choice.

Good luck!

Second, contacting state vet. Try to make contact with the state animal health vet in home state, states you might be passing through, and new home state. Not all states require the same health paperwork. Also might want to check with the California Animal Health Commission about their Virulent Newcastle Disease quarantine area. I don't know its current status, or where you live in relation to it, but I'd hate for you to accidentally drive through it and have problems (not illness issues, but legal ones).

The vet clearance idea was a good thing to point out, but I think the idea has been gotten across by now. At this point, it's a little off-topic... that isn't what the OP was even asking about. I'm not disagreeing, but think we would be better helping the OP by sticking to the original topic at hand.:ya

Back
Top Bottom