Need advice on my sick chicken

LunaMoriarty

Chirping
Feb 18, 2020
I previously posted about my 4 year old black sex link hen, Nymphadora. She has the following information and sypmtoms:
-small poops (only very watery eurates)
-swollen/watery like abdomen (near the abdomen and vent) (not egg bound I checked her vent)
-lathargic, will fall asleep anywhere
-crop was grainy yesterday, now is watery (I hope to God it's not sour crop, I smelled her breath and it's not foul but not pleasant either)
-she's not eating or drinking as much
-she's molting at the moment
-she was dewormed with safegaurd equine dewormer Monday
-had been like this for at least 3 days and it's beginning to be very concerning
I really need some help with her.

Here is your other thread for those who need some background:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-isnt-acting-right.1424366/

It sounds like she could have ascites (water belly) for starters since you describe her lower belly as being enlarged. Ascites can happen with heart disease, liver failure, egg yolk peritonitis, and I have seen it with oviduct cancer. Increased pressure from some of those and ascites can slow the digestive organs which can lead to a slow emptying crop. I have had a couple of hens whose gizzards were not functioning normally which lead to crop impaction and later sour crop.

At her age crop and other problems above could be possible. Some people recommend treating with a wormer and an antibiotic in case of bacterial infection. Some give antifungal medicines in case of a fungal infection. If you have a vet to see her, that would be best.

Here is your other thread for those who need some background:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-isnt-acting-right.1424366/

It sounds like she could have ascites (water belly) for starters since you describe her lower belly as being enlarged. Ascites can happen with heart disease, liver failure, egg yolk peritonitis, and I have seen it with oviduct cancer. Increased pressure from some of those and ascites can slow the digestive organs which can lead to a slow emptying crop. I have had a couple of hens whose gizzards were not functioning normally which lead to crop impaction and later sour crop.

At her age crop and other problems above could be possible. Some people recommend treating with a wormer and an antibiotic in case of bacterial infection. Some give antifungal medicines in case of a fungal infection. If you have a vet to see her, that would be best.
Unfortunately I don't have a vet. I finally got her to eat since raw egg and drink some water. Is there any way I can relieve the pressure?

You can disinfect her lower abdomen and insert an 18 gauge needle just under the skin to try and withdraw the yellow ascites fluid. Here are some videos and I will post a thread with some pictures:

Ok
You can disinfect her lower abdomen and insert an 18 gauge needle just under the skin to try and withdraw the yellow ascites fluid. Here are some videos and I will post a thread with some pictures:

Ok to be fair I'm going to hold off on that until it gets to a point that she's obviously suffering. She isn't necessarily unhappy especially since she gave me such a positive response to food recently.

Back
Top Bottom