Need advice on Orpingtons!

riverman

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Central Tx
I'm looking to switch out either my Delawares or Wyandottes for some Orpingtons. I'm looking for a good constant layer with a semi-meaty body and a very calm attitude. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Orps. Any comments on the subject from you Orpington owners out there?

How do they take the cold & heat? Could Orp Roosters be butchered around 6 months and it be worth the while? Thank you

Peace

From the little I know; I think that Orpington's will meet your exceptions for a duel purpose bird.

Yep, agreed, however there's a LOT of breeds that also meet your requirements other than Orpingtons
smile.png

Every Orpington I've ever owned in all my different flocks have been poor layers...possibly due to being the biggest eaters and laying on fat around the reproductive areas. When they were processed they had enormous amounts of fat around their vents.

They also were the most "breedable" gals in the flock and were constantly barebacked from hitting the ground every time a roo walked within a hundred yards.

You will get more laying consistency from a White Rock, Black Aussie or New Hamp~ with a better feed thriftiness yielding a meatier build.

I'd go for a different breed, too. I have Orps here in Houston, and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. But for strict utility in our heat, Beekissed has some great suggestions. It kind of makes me chuckle, you're looking to swap out Delaware or Wyandotte for Orp, and I have Orps and am trying out Delawares. Or will be, when they hatch.

Last edited:
My buffs also go broody non stop. There lovely birds, sweet but broody. I have had two go broody right after laying and one still wants to go broody every day. I actually have to take her off the nest each day and make her free range lol. She is so sweet but really wants to be a mommy. Next spring she will get her wish!

I have Buff Orphingtons, they are wonderful birds. So far they have been very dependable layers and are
the sweetiest chickens thus far. Mine are laying well, I am getting 6-8 eggs a day out of 13 hens.
My roo is very well behaved I have not had any problems out of him. He takes good care of the ladies
and is non aggressive to humans as well. hope this helps.

Quote:
Mine have gone broody plenty too. But now that I have eggs in the incubator? NOPE! No broodys!
gig.gif

Source of the birds will make a difference. The birds bred by breeders are different in size at least. MUCH large bird--huge. ANd should still be selected for meat as well as eggs. THe hatchery birds, which I have, are much smaller and most likely selected for eggs only. I didn't pick them for meat production.

Gentle, broody, pretty--love my BO's.

Thanks everyone for your info! Arielle I completely believe your statement about the source of the birds. I guess if I cant find a well respected Orpington breeder around my area I'll have to go with something else. Anybody have any other suggestions on a bird that I could butcher if needing meat but will lay a big egg through all four season as well. New Hampshire is a definite possibility. Its hard finding breeders around that dont line breed!!

Back
Top Bottom