Need advice on picking an incubator!!

Sazbaby

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
We're researching options for a tabletop incubator that we'll be buying later this summer I think... I've looked at the Hovabator 1583 and I think that's the one I want, basic but reliable. Also found the 1586 and 1588, I think the 1588 wouldn't be worth the extra money for us, and I can't really find the difference in the 1586 compared to the other two, or maybe I just can't keep them straight? lol Also looked at the Farm Innovators Pro Series Circulated Air Incubator, which is an awesome price for one that comes WITH a turner, but I know there were concerns over the headroom in it. Now I've just ordered chicks from Meyer hatchery and checked what they carry, and there's a 1602 I'm not interested in, and a 2362 which I can't find any good information on- what is this? Is it different from the 1583?? Please help, and feel free to chime in on your experience! We're not looking to spend much over $120 or so, so the Brinsea models are out. Thanks in advance, I know this has been discussed over and over, but I'm having trouble finding advice and answers on my specific questions all in one place! :)

I have a little giant incubator right now and I love it, but if you want geese too. I would get a hova incubator. They range from $40-$50.

The hovabator 1602N is a good incubator and I've had very good hatches in it. The key is to take the time to figure out the quirks of the individual incubator before setting valuable eggs in it. It's also very important to have an accurate, calibrated thermometer with hygrometer to use with it and to locate it in a room with stable temps away from windows, doors and areas that are walked by frequently. The still air models are much more sensitive to changes in room temp than the models with fans. I have used both hovabators and brinseas. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

Honestly the best incubators are the ones where you can go out to dinner and a movie for a couple hours and not worry about the temp randomly spiking to 120 degrees. All the styrofoam bators I ever purchased were so unreliable. I would constantly have to watch it. I finally caved and bought a Brinsea. It's legit set it and forget it. At $150 I thought it was worth it since I wasted over $100 on eggs that got cooked in my cheapo incubators. Little giants are super cheap. Very unreliable. But they get the job done. Just as long as you have very good thermometers and constantly check it. That's just my opinion though.

Hi, just wanted to comment because i see you were mentioning the 1583..Ive had one for about 5 years now and its still on its first wafer..I have two 1588's but I have just as good hatches from the 1583 as the two 1588's..Mine holds within 1* +/-..About 100.5* dwon too 99.5*..I cant say every 1583 will do that but mine sure will..I trust it and have never had less than great hatches from it..I can say the same for the 1588's too..

Thanks so much for your reply, I actually found a good deal on a 1588 (prior to 2012, so no digital display unfortunately...) with a turner on ebay, and the day after I bought that, an ad came up on craigslist for a 2362 with a turner, so I grabbed that up too, hoping to give them both a try and see what works best for me! So far the 2362 heated up to perfect temperature within an hour, and I'm still tweeking the 1588- it may have just been too cold in the room I had it running in, but the factory setting only got up to 99.1 after running for 24 hours. I'll still have to play with it a bit but might wait until things warm up a bit... So excited to have some options, now to get to know them and to make some babies!!! lol Thanks again for the input! :)

Your welcome, good luck..My 1588's are also the ones without the readout but they are a great incubator..These three incubators have at times run for 3-4 months without being turned off..Just hatch after hatch..We sold a lot of chicks and donated to the local 4-H program..

Back
Top Bottom