Need Advice on Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenlover7711, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    OKay I have a roo in the city but we are allowed too, but there is a crowing law. He is 18 weeks and hasnt crowed. i dont want to give him away. is there anything i can do/? [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    We have the same rules and keep ours in the coop until a respectible hour of the morning. My roos don`t usually crow until they get outside (yikes probably jinxed that and they`ll be crowing in the coop tomorrow!) and if they do it would at least be muffled in the coop.
    Short of that nature will take its course and some crow more than others. My head roo has a very quiet crow and doesn`t let the other roos crow so we have it pretty good. I think he is afraid the girls won`t take him seriously if they have something to compare to. [​IMG]
    Between dogs barking, horses neighing, chainsaws running, parrots squawking planes flying in our neighbourhood...I figure our roos add a lovely little piece to the chorus.

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Ditto. I keep mine in his coop shed until about 10 am, then I let him out. He's pretty quiet from then on, with a little excitement around dinner time, then back in the coop at night. None of my neighbors can hear him in the coop shed and I can barely hear him inside at the back of the house. From the front, I cannot hear him at all.

4. widgeonmangh

widgeonmangh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    I used sound board from home depot and made my Roo is his own bachelor pad. I put him in every night and then do not let him out until 7am. He crows in there starting at 5:15am every morning but the neighbors can not hear him since he is so muffled.

He seems to crow a lot when the hens are sitting on the nest in between 8am - 10 am. but after that he is fairly quiet.

Good luck with your roo.

5. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Now that`s a great idea! Our coop is insulated but I could take a piece of the brooder for a bachelor pad. Ah...yet another project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by