Need advice on silkie chicks colouring ASAP

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
I have 1 white 1 blue showboy and 2 suposedly black but as their growing their not looking black to me and their being sold today so i need to warn seller before they arrive please advize asap .. white and blue are from same parents , the 2 "black" are from 2 black parents whoch i also hatched 2 partridges from so i know blood line isnt pure black, i see the chicks being half black half blue is this possible ill add pictures . I have marked colours in photos to show which 2 i need advice on with black. They are all 6 days old

Attachments

• 20201020_104629.jpg
    20201020_104629.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201020_104654.jpg
    20201020_104654.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201020_104740.jpg
    20201020_104740.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201020_104756.jpg
    20201020_104756.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 20
I should also say my camera isnt picking up the odd co
They look black to me. In one pic they look blue but they could color out black or bark blue. The silkie NN are showgirls. She or he is very cute😍!
I called him showboy cos hes a boy 🙈 i just havnt seen a black silkie chick to know the difference thanku for ur reply

If both parents are black those chicks cannot be blue. For you to get partridge chicks from two black parents it means they are split for black and partridge, have one gene of each at that gene pair. What I think you have are chicks that are basically black but you will get a lot of red leakage. Genetically there are different ways to make black so something else may be going on. but I think hat makes the most sense.

White and blue do not come from the same genes UNLESS the white looking one is Splash or maybe paint.. but it looks like neither..

To me it sounds like all the parent stock is really mixed up genetically. The OP did not say what these parents looked like, at least I did not see it. One possible explanation is that each parent has one copy of Recessive White and that matched up in the white chick. Maybe one or both parents are split for Dominant White? When genetics are mixed up you can get amazing results. Both parents could be white, maybe neither parent is white.

Ah, ya.. those look a lot more partridge, thanks for clearing it up! Cute babies, all of them. :love

The naked neck gene.. produces variations in the nakedness depending I THINK on the purity of the gene, maybe.. That is if I recall correctly. It's a dominant gene.. so bred with non NN birds will still produce NN off spring.. a bow tie being one of the variations.. And it doesn't change bearding as far as I know.. with the exception that NN can produce up to 70% less feathering.. presumably relative to other parts of the body and not just the neck.. Sometimes making for an over all easier to pluck bird.

Pretty sure, they are still called Showgirls if they are NN Silkies at all. :D

This wiki link describes the dominance of the allele and how it effect the feathering a little under "trait"..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Neck

Are you going to breed any of yours? The genetics is so fascinating, once it catches your interest of seeing what YOU can do with chickens! :)
Ohh yes ur right a bowtie silkie, think i prefer these to the stripper silkie (according to this image)😆

Attachments

• 20201021_204816.jpg
    20201021_204816.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 6
Ah, ya.. those look a lot more partridge, thanks for clearing it up! Cute babies, all of them. :love

The naked neck gene.. produces variations in the nakedness depending I THINK on the purity of the gene, maybe.. That is if I recall correctly. It's a dominant gene.. so bred with non NN birds will still produce NN off spring.. a bow tie being one of the variations.. And it doesn't change bearding as far as I know.. with the exception that NN can produce up to 70% less feathering.. presumably relative to other parts of the body and not just the neck.. Sometimes making for an over all easier to pluck bird.

Pretty sure, they are still called Showgirls if they are NN Silkies at all. :D

This wiki link describes the dominance of the allele and how it effect the feathering a little under "trait"..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Neck

Are you going to breed any of yours? The genetics is so fascinating, once it catches your interest of seeing what YOU can do with chickens! :)
Well its my mum who has all the chickens and where my hatching passion has come from, she has about 300 different types of chickens from the usual warrens to leghorns to all kinds, during the 6 month lockdown i went to stay with her for the whole period and bought 8 silkies while i was there, and i must of hatched over a thousand regular chicks in that time, when i came home i missed doing it so like a crazy lady i bought the whole shabang and started hatching again, i live in a townhouse no chickebs allowed so im just hatching to sell, but have kept the blue showgirl because its just soo beautiful and i kept a white silkie to be best buds they will both eventually live at my mums, anything i hatch from now on will mostly be sold unless i hatch something unique, i already have too many boy silkies at my mums this showgirl i predict is a boy so i really cant have more ..one of the boys eventually needs to go sadly. Each boy i have are different colours its gonna be hard to choose. Silkie is my passion not my mums, hers is leghorns. Long winded story sorry 🙈

If both parents are black (not blue), then it should be impossible for them to produce blue chicks.

Are you familiar with how black/blue/splash works? Two copies of the not-blue gene makes black, two copies of the blue gene makes splash, one copy of each makes blue.
Yes im very familiar on how to get blue chicks, these 2 black parents gave me 2 partridge chicks and because the black chicks arent completly black its making me wonder, but if u think its not possible then they must be black chicks

Please explain.. What color are the alleged parent stock? White and blue do not come from the same genes UNLESS the white looking one is Splash or maybe paint.. but it looks like neither..

white and blue are from same parents , the 2 "black" are from 2 black parents whoch i also hatched 2 partridges from so i know blood line isnt pure black,

I took it as one pair of parents producing the white chick and the blue chick, while a different set of parents produced the two black chicks.

Back
Top Bottom