Need advice on soy-free, corn-free feed

That’s exactly what we use and what I posted to this thread!
When you purchase this brand the cost per lb, if you get a 1/2 tote is $0.615 per lb! I just placed another order last early this week and price went up from $570 to $615 per 1/2 ton. Still worth it and I studied EVER single organic feed on the market and they were all WAY more expensive. Chewy sells Modesto milling but they are more expensive than NCO and I did purchase many bags, as I liked their ingredients, BUT as of last November they switched their main ingredient to Canola! I spoke to the owner directly for about an hour and was disappointed with their choice, as if they couldn’t have picked something else...
Owner did say that this February they were going to change the canola to sunflower seed! I moved on and have been happy with NCO’s price point. I have 28 layers and 19 more pullets! I also have a rooster flock and I sell our eggs to many with egg allergies and they are thrilled to be able to eat eggs!
I am searching in these forums on Soy /Corn free feed. Do you still use NCO? Thank you!

Picking up on this older thread, here's the latest I've seen for soy-free, whole grain options, keeping in mind I'm in Indiana:
- Grubbly: $55 for a 30lb bag of feed w/ free shipping, but that converts to $73.33 for 40 lbs, to keep the rest of the comparisons simple
- Scratch&Peck: $52 for a 40lb bag through Azure, which includes 8% shipping bringing it to $56.16 if I were to buy through them
- New Country Organics:
- Their "Pasture Perfect Layer Feed" which appears to be a soy-free whole grain feed is listed at $27.95 for a 40lb bag, but the shipping is $26.93, bringing it to $54.88
- A local store carries a NCO "Unmilled whole grain layer feed" which I assume is the same (would need to verify), for $49
- Someone on here mentioned the NCO "1/2 tote" which is 1000lb for $755. But the cheapest of the shipping options for me was $231, which brings the price to $986. So basically you're back to $39.44 for every 40 lbs of feed, and where do you put all of that?? My 4 hens and 1 duck eat about a lb of feed a day. So it would take me 3 years to get through all that and I worry it would rot.

Has anyone in my situation (unable to eliminate shipping costs) come up with a better plan? Maybe I could become a NCO dealer and sell off the rest of the 1/2 tote in 40lb bags for $45.....

Last edited:
Picking up on this older thread, here's the latest I've seen for soy-free, whole grain options, keeping in mind I'm in Indiana:
- Grubbly: $55 for a 30lb bag of feed w/ free shipping, but that converts to $73.33 for 40 lbs, to keep the rest of the comparisons simple
- Scratch&Peck: $52 for a 40lb bag through Azure, which includes 8% shipping bringing it to $56.16 if I were to buy through them
- New Country Organics:
- Their "Pasture Perfect Layer Feed" which appears to be a soy-free whole grain feed is listed at $27.95 for a 40lb bag, but the shipping is $26.93, bringing it to $54.88
- A local store carries a NCO "Unmilled whole grain layer feed" which I assume is the same (would need to verify), for $49
- Someone on here mentioned the NCO "1/2 tote" which is 1000lb for $755. But the cheapest of the shipping options for me was $231, which brings the price to $986. So basically you're back to $39.44 for every 40 lbs of feed, and where do you put all of that?? My 4 hens and 1 duck eat about a lb of feed a day. So it would take me 3 years to get through all that and I worry it would rot.

Has anyone in my situation (unable to eliminate shipping costs) come up with a better plan? Maybe I could become a NCO dealer and sell off the rest of the 1/2 tote in 40lb bags for $45.....
I called around to local feed stores to find one that ordered the NCO in for me to eliminate shipping costs, maybe worth a try?

- New Country Organics:

I realize you posted this a few weeks ago, but I have started using feed from this place and love it. No shipping costs, so the price appears expensive. (It is expensive, w/ or without shipping)
Before you decide against it please read the ingredients! I hope I did the link correctly, still figuring this stuff out.

https://organicchickenfeed.com/product/organic-corn-soy-free-grower-broiler-feed-40lb/

- New Country Organics:

Azure- If you can find a drop off point local then shipping fee is eliminated.

I am looking for advice. One of the main reasons I got a backyard flock was that both my daughter and I have health issues, which include corn and soy allergies, as well as egg sensitivities. Through lots of research I came to the conclusion that the egg issues were probably not really egg issues, but issues with the corn and soy fed to the chickens that are ending up in their eggs. Before you argue, look it up for yourself - there is a lot of research to show that trace amounts of what chickens eat wind up in their eggs. So my goal was to raise a flock of layers on corn-free, soy-free, preferably organic, feed. Because the first ingredient of corn-free, soy-free feeds tends to be wheat, it’s very important to me that it be organic and glyphosate free.
Ok, so regardless of your personal opinions, this is what I need and I cannot find anywhere to get it! Amazon clearly hikes the prices of all their animal feeds drastically, compared to feed stores. But neither Tractor Supply, Rural King or my local feed store carry anything corn and soy free. Every website I’ve found to order it for a decent price, won’t ship to me - I’m in Central Florida. Or they will ship it but it costs more than the feed itself. I’ve asked all my local options if they can order bulk organic grains so I can make my own feed - nope.
I am working on a chicken tractor for them, because right now I cannot let them free range - we have tons of hawks that we see sitting on our fence, staring at our run everyday. They are currently on organic starter feed (they are about 16 weeks old and not laying), and they have free choice oyster shell that I just started last week. They have a large run with lots of room to scratch and dig, so I’m sure they’re getting bugs and grit. I occasionally string up a cabbage for them to peck at, and my daughter feeds them a small handful of soldier fly larvae every few days.
Right now they’re ok, but I know the clock is ticking and they will be laying soon, and I want to have this figured out by then. If anyone knows of someplace online that will ship at a reasonable price, or any other option, I would be so grateful. 💕 🐓
By the way, I have a mixed flock of 10 chickens - 2 Buffs, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Barreds, and 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes.
Modesto Milling Organic Non Corn-Non Soy Flock Developer Poultry Feed on Chewy

I am looking for advice. One of the main reasons I got a backyard flock was that both my daughter and I have health issues, which include corn and soy allergies, as well as egg sensitivities. Through lots of research I came to the conclusion that the egg issues were probably not really egg issues, but issues with the corn and soy fed to the chickens that are ending up in their eggs. Before you argue, look it up for yourself - there is a lot of research to show that trace amounts of what chickens eat wind up in their eggs. So my goal was to raise a flock of layers on corn-free, soy-free, preferably organic, feed. Because the first ingredient of corn-free, soy-free feeds tends to be wheat, it’s very important to me that it be organic and glyphosate free.
Ok, so regardless of your personal opinions, this is what I need and I cannot find anywhere to get it! Amazon clearly hikes the prices of all their animal feeds drastically, compared to feed stores. But neither Tractor Supply, Rural King or my local feed store carry anything corn and soy free. Every website I’ve found to order it for a decent price, won’t ship to me - I’m in Central Florida. Or they will ship it but it costs more than the feed itself. I’ve asked all my local options if they can order bulk organic grains so I can make my own feed - nope.
I am working on a chicken tractor for them, because right now I cannot let them free range - we have tons of hawks that we see sitting on our fence, staring at our run everyday. They are currently on organic starter feed (they are about 16 weeks old and not laying), and they have free choice oyster shell that I just started last week. They have a large run with lots of room to scratch and dig, so I’m sure they’re getting bugs and grit. I occasionally string up a cabbage for them to peck at, and my daughter feeds them a small handful of soldier fly larvae every few days.
Right now they’re ok, but I know the clock is ticking and they will be laying soon, and I want to have this figured out by then. If anyone knows of someplace online that will ship at a reasonable price, or any other option, I would be so grateful. 💕 🐓
By the way, I have a mixed flock of 10 chickens - 2 Buffs, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Barreds, and 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes.
Did you find any corn-free soy free feed I'm looking for it in pellet form have any suggestions on where to buy it ?

Back
Top Bottom