Need advice on soy-free, corn-free feed

Another old book (can't remember which one) talked about feeding "caterer's waste" which I took to be similar to the school cafeteria waste that pig farmers used to be allowed to use when I was a kid. It is probably against the law, but restaurant garbage might be a complete poultry ration when you consider how much protein and variety it contains. It doesn't seem like we eat very much soy or corn in a restaurant these days, except for the corn in a Mexican food place.

I am looking for advice. One of the main reasons I got a backyard flock was that both my daughter and I have health issues, which include corn and soy allergies, as well as egg sensitivities. Through lots of research I came to the conclusion that the egg issues were probably not really egg issues, but issues with the corn and soy fed to the chickens that are ending up in their eggs. Before you argue, look it up for yourself - there is a lot of research to show that trace amounts of what chickens eat wind up in their eggs. So my goal was to raise a flock of layers on corn-free, soy-free, preferably organic, feed. Because the first ingredient of corn-free, soy-free feeds tends to be wheat, it’s very important to me that it be organic and glyphosate free.
Ok, so regardless of your personal opinions, this is what I need and I cannot find anywhere to get it! Amazon clearly hikes the prices of all their animal feeds drastically, compared to feed stores. But neither Tractor Supply, Rural King or my local feed store carry anything corn and soy free. Every website I’ve found to order it for a decent price, won’t ship to me - I’m in Central Florida. Or they will ship it but it costs more than the feed itself. I’ve asked all my local options if they can order bulk organic grains so I can make my own feed - nope.
I am working on a chicken tractor for them, because right now I cannot let them free range - we have tons of hawks that we see sitting on our fence, staring at our run everyday. They are currently on organic starter feed (they are about 16 weeks old and not laying), and they have free choice oyster shell that I just started last week. They have a large run with lots of room to scratch and dig, so I’m sure they’re getting bugs and grit. I occasionally string up a cabbage for them to peck at, and my daughter feeds them a small handful of soldier fly larvae every few days.
Right now they’re ok, but I know the clock is ticking and they will be laying soon, and I want to have this figured out by then. If anyone knows of someplace online that will ship at a reasonable price, or any other option, I would be so grateful. 💕 🐓
By the way, I have a mixed flock of 10 chickens - 2 Buffs, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Barreds, and 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes.
It is absolutely true that what fees a chicken eats effects it’s eggs! I purchase directly from New Country Organics! All of their layer feed is corn & soy free! You can get starter, grower, and layer in different ways (mash, crumbles, pellets) ALL with out corn & soy! Only feed I raise all my chuckles on and I have clients that have severe allergies to even eggs able to eat ours! Not only that, they taste amazing and even have a friend that is a high end chef begging for them, says they are the best eggs he has ever had! Even children that won’t eat eggs will eat ours.. makes me happy :)

It is absolutely true that what fees a chicken eats effects it’s eggs! I purchase directly from New Country Organics! All of their layer feed is corn & soy free! You can get starter, grower, and layer in different ways (mash, crumbles, pellets) ALL with out corn & soy! Only feed I raise all my chuckles on and I have clients that have severe allergies to even eggs able to eat ours! Not only that, they taste amazing and even have a friend that is a high end chef begging for them, says they are the best eggs he has ever had! Even children that won’t eat eggs will eat ours.. makes me happy :)
Effusive praise aside, it's an overpriced inferior feed from a nutrition standpoint, but if your buyers will pay the premium, it's not for me to tell them how to use their currency.

We buy organic soy and corn free feed from newcountryorganics.com

We have enough birds that it makes sense to buy in bulk and the price/lb goes down significantly. They also have wheat free. But I believe that one has corn in it.

Most of my egg customers have food sensitivities as well but are able to eat either my chickens' eggs. If still sensitive to my chickens' eggs, they end up being allergic to chicken eggs, but can eat my ducks' eggs.
That’s exactly what we use and what I posted to this thread!
When you purchase this brand the cost per lb, if you get a 1/2 tote is $0.615 per lb! I just placed another order last early this week and price went up from $570 to $615 per 1/2 ton. Still worth it and I studied EVER single organic feed on the market and they were all WAY more expensive. Chewy sells Modesto milling but they are more expensive than NCO and I did purchase many bags, as I liked their ingredients, BUT as of last November they switched their main ingredient to Canola! I spoke to the owner directly for about an hour and was disappointed with their choice, as if they couldn’t have picked something else...
Owner did say that this February they were going to change the canola to sunflower seed! I moved on and have been happy with NCO’s price point. I have 28 layers and 19 more pullets! I also have a rooster flock and I sell our eggs to many with egg allergies and they are thrilled to be able to eat eggs!

I don't have the dietary concerns of the original poster, which place them in a pretty unique niche. So I'm able to feed something that costs about 1/4th as much per pound, and has a superior nutritional analysis.
I’m curious, is there a specific brand or do you mix it yourself?

I’ve found scratch and peck to be pretty good... I love that it’s organic and seems high quality and is local.
Unfortunately for me, it’s too expensive-almost $1 a pound 40 dollars for 40 pounds, maybe even more)
Plus my chickens end up picking through for their favorite seeds and wasting a lot-I really like scratch and peck, but it just hasn’t worked out for me.

Back
Top Bottom