need advice on using a covering for plywood floor of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kwhit, Mar 28, 2013.

1. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Linoleum is great...untreated wood can absorb waste and smells, which is no fun for anybody. Linoleum with shredded newspaper or shavings is great...everything rakes out, and then you can take some soap and water too it. Gives the coop a much better smell than it would have with a standard plywood base. It just takes a little time to scrub.

2. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed on the linoleum - this thread helped me make up my mind on using it. Found an 8' x 12' scrap piece at Lowe's for less than $25 that fit our new coop's floor perfectly! We stapled it into place with nails at the corners for added security, hammered the staples down so they couldn't be "plucked" and inadvertently cause internal injury to the girls when they get moved out there.

3. HomesteadDebi

HomesteadDebi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks for clearing that up, Jack

4. ottodog

ottodog Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
  5. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    That seems a bit intense for chickens...it is definitely pricey. Linoleum hoses down also...maybe not as well as these would. However, if you are covering a huge area, it might just be better to use these panels because it will speed up cleaning.

6. ottodog

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
    Yeah, the more I think about, the less I want to spend that much. Probably would be better for area's that get hosed down on a regular basis. Coop probably doesn't need that level. I'll most likely go with lino for the cost also. Not quite to that stage with the coop build yet.

7. TipihlowLadies

TipihlowLadies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    No it is not vinyl FRP. stands for fiber glass reinforced panel been putting it up in commercial restrooms for years. I used Epoxy Garage Floor paint it comes with little none skid sprinkels works great. Dries hard as glass hose it down or shovel it out good stuff.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  8. SarahInAlaska

SarahInAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    I got the cheap as dirt $.57 a square foot linoleum for mine. I wish they had remnants when I needed it!

9. ottodog

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
    Did you use the epoxy on the side walls also? Just curious if it would stay put, or run down before curing.

10. TipihlowLadies

TipihlowLadies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Yes it will stay on the walls I went two feet up . if it gets on its there .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by