1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Advice Please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by enggass, Oct 12, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    2 part question:
    I have just noticed that me 'runt of the litter' hen has cloudy pupils...
    I have 6 birds. They are all (3 RIR and 3 BR) 23 weeks... she (BR) is just less developed - Comb & Wattle appearance - than the others. She is pecked by some of the others, and very intimidated by some of them. I have seen her get pecked very close to the eye if not in the eye. Both of her eyes have a small cloudy circle in the center. What would be causing this - the small cloudy circles?
    Her poops are fine. She eats when I bring them treats and when I put her by the food.
    I'm ruling out Marek's Disease.
    1. She was vaccinated
    2. It is not her Iris that is gray, but a small cloudy circle right in the center of her eyes.
    3. She is showing no other signs of Marek's that I have read about.
    I am thinking either conjunctivitis or scaring of the inner eyelid due to pecking.

Second question:
    For now, I have separated her from the rest and last night brought her indoors to my basement in my large 3'x4' brooder. It appears she may have some vision trouble, but I am no vet. Would she be happier out with the flock or should I keep her inside for a few days and monitor? Anything I can do for the eyes? (ok, 3 questions)

Thansk. Would love to hear from someone else who has seen symptoms like this.
    Steve

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I'm not good on diseases but you might want to repost this in the disease/injury section. It'll get you a faster response. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by