Need Advice Please

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
2 part question:
I have just noticed that me 'runt of the litter' hen has cloudy pupils...
I have 6 birds. They are all (3 RIR and 3 BR) 23 weeks... she (BR) is just less developed - Comb & Wattle appearance - than the others. She is pecked by some of the others, and very intimidated by some of them. I have seen her get pecked very close to the eye if not in the eye. Both of her eyes have a small cloudy circle in the center. What would be causing this - the small cloudy circles?
Her poops are fine. She eats when I bring them treats and when I put her by the food.
I'm ruling out Marek's Disease.
1. She was vaccinated
2. It is not her Iris that is gray, but a small cloudy circle right in the center of her eyes.
3. She is showing no other signs of Marek's that I have read about.
I am thinking either conjunctivitis or scaring of the inner eyelid due to pecking.

Second question:
For now, I have separated her from the rest and last night brought her indoors to my basement in my large 3'x4' brooder. It appears she may have some vision trouble, but I am no vet. Would she be happier out with the flock or should I keep her inside for a few days and monitor? Anything I can do for the eyes? (ok, 3 questions)

Thansk. Would love to hear from someone else who has seen symptoms like this.
Steve

I'm not good on diseases but you might want to repost this in the disease/injury section. It'll get you a faster response. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom