Need advice please

lisainberea

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
Kentucky
On day 22 and incubating in a lg still air. 2 babies born this AM and I moved them to the reheated brooder, they look good. I moved quickly because they were stretching and I feared they would touch the element. 3 rd did the same and I moved but the other 2 are pecking at this one. Is this normal?

yes, just keep an eye on them, they like to put everything in their mouth including each other, some use a red light for heating if the pecking causes bleeding because they are drawn to the blood and red light keeps them from seeing that color (everything appears red).

These are the first 2, black and yellow:)
This is my first try at chickens, my 13 year old talked me into incubating eggs.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

They will be fine. Of course watch them to make sure they are not starting to pick on each other. Usually babies picking on each other means they are cramped in or they are too warm. Start the brooder temp at 95 degrees. Keep the heat source, (red or infra-red bulb) off to one side, the food and water on the other so they have to leave the heat to get to the goods. Lower the temp by 5 degrees each week until they are 6 weeks old.

Good luck with your newly hatched babies and enjoy BYC!

Just hatched our first egg ever and today is day 19. A few pips from three other eggs is it okay for the chicken to be in there while the others are still on lockdown, hes bumping into them alot and im getting concerned. Please let me know asap thanks
1f60a.png

And congradulations @lisainberea

This is the lot so far, I have covered the newest addition with shavings to help her retain her body temp. This is such a slow process! 4 more are in various stages of pipping. Six others show no signs they are ready. I didn't imagine that they would hatch so far apart!

Back
Top Bottom