Need advice with broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seminolewind, Jun 2, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I find my BO Clarisse going into the coop after everyone has laid, and she sits on the eggs. I have fans going but it's 100 degrees in there, and she is panting so heavily. Yesterday I took the eggs and showed her to the door.
    I don't mind if she sits on eggs, but where should I put the nest? It's too hot in the coop. But yesterday everyone had to find a place to lay cause she was in the box. Now I have 2 nests, but of course they all like one.
    Should I try moving her to an outdoor tractor that is sheltered?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would move her to the tractor and make sure she has a waterer close to the nest so she doesn't have to get off the eggs to drink.

I usually put my broodies in a dog crate and seperate them from the flock, keeping the crate in a semi dark place.

3. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I put any broodies in a spare rabbit hutch with a small attached run. They're on their own so they get peace and quiet, and they don't have to go far for the food or water [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I can move her to a tractor, do you think it's okay if she shares it with 3 silkies that won't bother her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by