Need advice.

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
This isnt about a chicken run, its about my rabbit run. I am facing a dilemma and need some advice.

My rabbit run is only 3 feet high. its basically an upside down trampoline with a wire fence. I just had a Red Tailed Hawk go after one of my rabbits, unsuccessfully. I was able to go outside right before the hawk dove and scare it off.

If I cover the run fully, it will be difficult to get food and water to my rabbits. If I dont cover the run, I risk a raptor taking a rabbit.

I could cover the run partially, so I can still get food and water to my rabbits. I dont know if that will ward off the raptors or not.

Any ideas on what to do?

If you need a picture of the run, I will get it.

Jared

20200203_162944.jpg

Couldnt you just cover it with some plastic netting that's easy to move but if a hawk decided to attack them it would get caught in or detered by the netting?

Dude, its a no brainer. An old tire, sack of quick Crete and a pole. Metal or wood. Sand the pole in the tire and fill with concrete. Put it in the center of run and get bird net. drape the net over the sides of your round cage to the top of pole. bird net tee pee. you could even get a ring for the pole and raise it like the sail on a boat.

I would make an entry (frame / doorpost) with some kind of a door or just 2 poles deep in the ground, where you want to enter the run. And one more in the middle. With strong ropes you make a frame. Like a pyramid tent.

If that’s done you can stretch a bird of prey net or a cat net from the doorpost and the pole in the middle to all sides.

(P.s. Americans think teepee / Europeans think pyramid , lol. )

Last edited:
Dude, its a no brainer. An old tire, sack of quick Crete and a pole. Metal or wood. Sand the pole in the tire and fill with concrete. Put it in the center of run and get bird net. drape the net over the sides of your round cage to the top of pole. bird net tee pee. you could even get a ring for the pole and raise it like the sail on a boat.

I'll try that. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom