need advice.

mosse71

Songster
7 Years
Oct 18, 2016
n. maine
hey folks. in the last 3 weeks I've lost 2 birds. a hen and a rooster. now i have a mallard hen acting the same. they are lethargic they sway their heads and as the disease progresses they start to fall over. i put the 1st 2 down thinking it was just coincidence. now I'm fearing this will kill my whole flock. there was no runny discharge or any other symptoms i could see. i hits very suddenly within 2 to 3 days the bird just stands or sits there and when it moves it head its like it loses its balance. i have 20 chickens 6 ducks and 2 geese. its not the food cause i feed high protein 20% and oyster shell plus treats of scratch and roaches i raise. these birds are all 2.5 yrs. old.

If you fear for your flock, my best advice is to 1) suck it up and bear the cost and time to find an avian vet and/or 2) do as the above comment suggested and send the body in for necropsy. Unfortunately some diseases are extremely contagious and shouldn't be taken lightly. Birds aren't very good at telling us what's wrong. I had a bird get lethargic overnight and died with no other apparent sypmtoms, and two years later the remaining birds are all still happy and healthy! In the mean time, I suggest monitoring your flock heavily, clean their coop, water, and food containers thoroughly.

How old is the feed?
Anything moldy or rotten they could have gotten into?

Is sending a body to your state lab possible - this is the best way to get information to the cause of death.
no and no we don't have any vets that do that up here. maybe 4hrs. from here. was feeding dumor 20%.

Last edited:
If you fear for your flock, my best advice is to 1) suck it up and bear the cost and time to find an avian vet and/or 2) do as the above comment suggested and send the body in for necropsy. Unfortunately some diseases are extremely contagious and shouldn't be taken lightly. Birds aren't very good at telling us what's wrong. I had a bird get lethargic overnight and died with no other apparent sypmtoms, and two years later the remaining birds are all still happy and healthy! In the mean time, I suggest monitoring your flock heavily, clean their coop, water, and food containers thoroughly.
no avian vets up here unfortunately. closest is 4hrs away. and their bedding is frozen to the floor right now. already cleaned/ disinfected the feed / water bowl. i haven't added to the flock since last spring so this popped out of nowhere. been raising birds now for 30 yrs and never had a disease problem. only a occasional death for no apparent reason. 1st. time Ive had more than 1 morality with similar symptoms. I'm 4hrs. from what i call a city. i was hoping someone has seen these symptoms and could point me in the right direction. i don't have any other options here. we have a TSC in town so i probably could get whats needed but its to figure it out.

well the hen mallard died. i guess ill just have to deal with it. I've called several local vets and they said the same as you folks. get ahold of a avian vet. not 3 1/2hrs away but 4 1/2! sometimes it sucks being this far in the sticks!

Back
Top Bottom