need advice!!

Kassyc88

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Oklahoma
So.. my husband and I have decided to be less dependent on grocery stores and raise chickens for both eggs and meat. I found great deals on some hens and roosters pf wich we already butcherd all but one rooster. I ordered some egg layers from mcmurray since the hens we have will be nearly 2 when these new chicks start laying. My thought was when these start laying bitcher the old ones. I also bought roo chicks from our tractor supply, they made me a deal since I sexed them out as roosters wich I was 100% right on. My husband is now gripping at the cost of feeding them all. What is the best most efficient way to keep rotating our flock for eggs and meat? We like to have at least 4-6 eggs a day. Should I just butcher the ones im not sure of laying and keep the ones I know are? Or do as I planned even though its turned into a money pit instead of saving us money? How do you guys and gals rotate your flock at least cost and how do u feed them cheaply? IdlIdlIke to free range but we have way too many loose dogs around where we live. I thought about building a huge run that can have more grazing room but my hubby doesnt want to waste anymore of our yard. HELP!!

Last edited:
We do give them grass I have a section tjaty hubby cannot mow for that reason. :) I haven't tried a hanging feeder yet. I have one but im waiting on the new chicken house to be built so we can hang it inside it to keep from ruining it in bad weather.

Fermented scratch feed, grass clippings, produce extra's (from grocery store or friends), scrambled eggs (extra's, if any), left-over bread ends - oh so many options to reduce feed costs. But ultimately, these efforts are low key to the main course of, chicken feed.

There isn't a magic element to reduce costs. Truthfully, if you can find meat on a really good sale, that meat will be cheaper than what you can produce on your own. No, it's not grown as ethically as you can do for your own free-range hens. But if price is the main consideration, you'd be better off seeking sales.

How about how to rotate my flock old birds and new birds when and how often? When will it be most cost effective to butcher, bring in new hens and keep eggs going. I guess im looking for a more self sustaining flock and when to rotate old layers with new ones?

Back
Top Bottom