need advice

robbie1970

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
I have about 70 hens only getting two eggs a day feeding laying pellets flock block in pen scratch in the evening so why aren't they laying beengoing on about four months any help would be appreciated dont know what to do useing about a100 pounds of pellets a week

I have about 70 hens only getting two eggs a day feeding laying pellets flock block in pen scratch in the evening so why aren't they laying beengoing on about four months any help would be appreciated dont know what to do useing about a100 pounds of pellets a week
Is there a place that they could be hiding their eggs? Do they free range?

How old are these birds, and how long had they been laying? If below 20-24 weeks or so, they are probably too young to lay. If above 3-4 years, they may be too old to lay.

Also, are any of them molting? Chickens often molt in late summer to early winter, so this could be preventing some of them from laying.

You say that you feed them scratch at night. How much do you give them? Scratch isn't neccesary; it should be more of a treat. If you feed to much of it, it can decrease the total protein that they are getting each day and lower egg production.

We need more information. How old are your girls? Do they free-range during the day? How large of a coop do they have? How long have you had them? Are they all girls?

My pen is 60feet by 90feethens are about one year old they were laying butnot in a couple months

Well lets start ruling things out. Dogs, predators, or construction noise causing stress? Egg eating? Are there girl in your flock eating up the eggs? Molting? Are their places in their run they could be laying outside their nesting boxes? Did you change their food? Do they have adequate access to water?

No noise same food how do I tell if molting don't have any idea plenty of water

Is there a place that they could be hiding their eggs? Do they free range?

How old are these birds, and how long had they been laying? If below 20-24 weeks or so, they are probably too young to lay. If above 3-4 years, they may be too old to lay.

Also, are any of them molting? Chickens often molt in late summer to early winter, so this could be preventing some of them from laying.

You say that you feed them scratch at night. How much do you give them? Scratch isn't neccesary; it should be more of a treat. If you feed to much of it, it can decrease the total protein that they are getting each day and lower egg production.

Dont feed but about two pounds of scratch they are about a year old were laying good butit was very hot last couple months so I thought that was the problem how do I tell if they are molting I have nine roos alsobut not getting any eggs

Your chickens have a space the size of a city lot. Is it just dirt or are there bushes and trees and other hiding places? If so have you checked for nests? Have you wormed your chickens?

I would do a test to see if they are eating the eggs . Put a egg where they normally lay and watch to see if they eat it . You should also examine their beaks to see if they have dried egg yolk on them.

Back
Top Bottom