need advise my baby turkey keeps picking at his feet making them bleed

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
My ds and I hatched out a turkey poult a few weeks ago and have been hand raising him in the house to keep him as a pet. Christoph (the Turkey's name) has been doing great until yesterday. I had him in his pen while I cleaned the house and floors an after I had him running around again. all of a sudden last night he began crying and picking at his feet. It seems as if maybe some cleaner was burning his feet or something like that. I quickly washed his feet with water, and then when that did not help I washed again withy soap and water. when that did not help I lathered his feet in neosporin, but still he is suffering. I have soaked his feet, put blue kote on them, more neosporin but nothing is helping. he keeps pecking at his feet and the webbing between the toes and is making himself bleed. I dont know what to do at this point, he only stops when I hold and snuggle him. I even rinsed my floors again to get all cleaning residue off but still nothing seems to help.

has this ever happened to anyone before? does anyone have any advise??

Thanks
smile.png

seventh generation soap and then a bleach and water mix, then 2 rinses.

I soaked his feet in raw yogurt that I make to help sooth them, it seems to help a little. poor baby he is so sweet and i feel like such a bad momma for not being able to fix it.

Normally chemical burns take at least 20 minutes of rinsing. It is best not to put a ointments on a chemical burn. Just keep it dry.

he is on a broiler starter mixed with reg starter I have had many turkeys on this mix no problem.

I will try rinsing for 20 minutes straight and see if that helps. the yogurt seemed to have helped a bit. he is picking less but still doing it.

Get some meal worrms and toss some in now and again to distract it from picking. Toe `guards' can also be fashioned by creative reshaping of large bandaids.

i raise meal worms so that is not a problem will try now

As for toe gaurds I have been thinking of that but did not want to cover up an area that was "burning" if washing or soaking was the treatment, but since I have tried soaking and all that I will wrap up the area as best i can with vet wrap.

Back
Top Bottom