Need advise on hatching this chick!

kerrifarmer

Hatching
Aug 29, 2015
Locust Hill, Ontario Canada
I am new to chickens! I have several Muskovy ducks (all female) and a Chinese goose.

I've always wanted chickens so when my Goose and one of the Muskovy ducks went broody I decided to see if they could hatch me some chickens!

I put the first few fertile chick eggs under the Chinese goose. She hatched one yesterday but sadly it would seem that she is too big and likely smoothered the new baby. So today I decided it would be best to get her up and off the nest. This was obviously not going to work. I removed the chick who had passed, the 2 golf balls I had in the nest and a cracked egg. I noticed before tossing the egg that it appeared to be moving! Sure enough there is a little peeper in there trying to get out.

After reading some of the advise given here in these forums I did try the damp cloth and tweezers. I have safely removed a lot of the shell. But then under the advise of someone who does raise chickens I was told NOT to try to remove the chick

The little beak is out and the baby is moving and chirping. I have placed him in a shoe box with a heating pad and covered the membrane with a damp warm cloth.

Any advise? Should I be leaving it? Should I continue to try and help him out?

I think the concern was that he might not be fully developed. But, although again I state I am new to all this, this egg has incubated under the goose for 23 days.

Hello,

Let it be, your in a good direction.
The only thing I suggest is having a heat lamp,
and make sure the cloth never gets cold... After awhile it will.

It'll probably take two days or 1 for it to fully hatch.
(Depends on when it broke.)

Don't touch it until it's out, it can live and develop.
As long as the membrane is mostly intact it will be fine.

If it breaks the membrane itself? Then it is fine.
If you broke it, it might have broke too soon.

I never had geese or ducks, so I don't know how long they incubate their eggs...
But if it was broken and warm when you got it, it is most likely okay.

I don't want to mislead you, I am no expert. But I hope this helps.
Have a good day and good luck, if it is meant to be, it'll sure be!!

-The Angry Hen

Thank you!

And he is out! On his own. I just kept up with the warm damp clothes and out he popped. Ugly lol little spud!

Just put him back in the shoe box on the heating pad to dry. With a lamp (minus the shade) bare bulb only. In an attempt to dry him and keep him warm.

The red light heat lamp that I purchased in anticipation of eventually having chickens is big and meant for the coop I bought.

Just calling around to see who is open on the holiday to try to grab some supplies

*fingers crossed*

spud.jpg

Good job!

What breed is he?
After two days he'll be precious!

I am glad it worked out fine,
and that he is a healthy little baby chick!

-The Angry Hen

I appreciate all your responses Angry Hen. Thank you!

I'm not sure of the breed. I just reached out to some local folks while looking for fertile chicken eggs in hopes of helping out the broody duck and goose situation and FINALLY getting me some much wanted chickens.

The chicken lady has Easter Eggers. From a mix of Silkie and Americana. So its hard to say what little Spud might be.

Will he be okay on his own? If my calculations are correct (and again lol I am very new to this) The other batch of eggs sitting under my broody duck should likely hatch tomorrow

Last year this duck was broody all summer and all fall. We took several 2 day old baby ducks that had been abandoned to her in October and she raised them without issue. This is likely what inspired me to try the chicken egg thing. But now because of the failure with the broody goose I'm questioning whether or not to leave any newborn chicks with the want to be Momma duck. Or if I should risk my life to grab one and put it with the Spud or even slip Spud under the duck

No problem!

I would suggest holding onto the little one until it's a little stronger,
or where it can escape if something bad went wrong.

If the little spud was alone, worst comes to worst you can put another chick with him.
As long as he is drinking and eating, he'll be fine.

On his third or fourth day, the way to know he can be without 'over parenting' is when he cleans his or herself.

I hope everything works out for you!
For being new to this, your doing great! You hatched a chick!

-The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom