Need an opinion on some girls please.

poultryman17

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
West Central Ilinois
Good Morning to everyone. I am in need of some help identifying a few of my flock. I had ordered two dozen chicks that my wife picked up march 24th. In the order were supposed to be 6 Black Orpingtons. Out of the six, two are nearly all black, however there are four that look like this one. Can anyone help me out? Im wondering if the hatchery got something mixed up or am i just worried about nothing. When i was ordering a diverse flock, the idea was to get enough for my daughters to pick a breed they like and show at the county fair this summer. Really just need to know what everyones opinion is on this. Thanks in advance for you comments

notice the brown on her breast? is this normal of some black astralorps? or do i have a different breed possibly in these 4 sweet girls?

That looks like it could possibly be a black sexlink. This isn't my picture, just one I found on Google, but it looks very similar to your girl.
photobucket-770-1336250302867.jpg

well crap! was hoping that wasnt the case. Its interesting though, the ones that may be suspect black sexlink seem to have a little bit of a green "sheen" to their black. i think it will be interesting

definitley not australorp... I agree with howfunkyisurchicken...... sex link are cool, because you cross to breeds, IE RIR, and new hampshire red, you u get a red sex link... The next generation, Half will be RIR and half NH... You could do research into different sex links and it is all pretty cool.... You can still show sex links I believe...

I'm also going to guess black sex link. I have two who are 7 1/2 weeks old. They have less orange on their tummies though. and they have the green sheen on their black feathers.

i really appreciate everyones input. It make my flock even more diversified and i like that. Got to pull the positives out of all situations.

Explained to my wife chicken math today. Now she sees the light.

What started out as 5 pullets, then 24 more, then 6, then 2 = 12? YES!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom