Need breed help! Thanks!

slwths

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
I received 16 baby chicks today. So in love! :) I need help knowing what breeds they are. They are from My Pet Chicken and are all supposed to be brown egg layers. Can you help!

Here is the Facebook link where you can comment on the pictures, but I will also try to post pics here!

Thanks in advance for your help!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152071296279823.1073741837.532599822&type=1&l=d829b7bfb0

# 1 & 2 are same chick

# 3 & 4 are same chick

# 5 & 6 are same chick

# 7 & 8 are same chick

# 9, 10 & 11 are the same chick

# 12, 13 & 14 are the same chick and has feathered leg/toes

Thanks again!

Shonda

I'm not an expert, but I have a couple of guesses:

# 1 & 2 are same chick

Golden or Silver Laced Wyandotte - pretty positive on this one.

# 3 & 4 are same chick

Best guess is Speckled Sussex. Or maybe Partridge Plymouth Rock.

# 5 & 6 are same chick

White Plymouth Rock.

# 7 & 8 are same chick

Barred Plymouth Rock, Dominique, or Black Jersey Giant.

Not sure about this one. From the first 2 photos, it looks like a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire, from the chipmunk markings on the back are a bit confusing. Dark Cornish?

In My Pet Chicken's Brown Egg Layer Assortment, the only feather-legged breed is the Brahma!

As the chicks get older, it should be much easier to tell for sure. In a few weeks, breed guesses will be a lot less hesitant! I just named some likely possibilities from MPC's list of potential breeds in the assortment.

Good luck with your chicks!
smile.png
They are very cute.

# 1 & 2 are same chick

Looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte...a Gold Laced would show more gold (should)...you'll know in about a week...silver will still look very silver and a gold laced will get a lot more yellow-gold in it where the markings are

# 3 & 4 are same chick

Probably a Speckled Sussex...beige legs...Welsummers and Patridge Rocks have yellow legs (or should...but hatchery quality can differ in leg colors)

# 5 & 6 are same chick

Could be a White Rock...or might be a Delaware...leaning towards Delaware, not sure why other than Delawares look so "clean yellow" compared to White Rocks as day olds...time will tell...if some black tipping comes into the wing tips you'll know you likely have a Delaware as I don't see Light Sussex on My Pet Chicken's brown layer assortment and it definitely looks to have a single comb and not a rose comb (otherwise it might be the Columbian Wyandotte)

# 7 & 8 are same chick

Barred Plymouth Rock as that looks to be a pretty narrow comb base for a single comb...Dominiques have rose combs which have a much wider base even as chicks...doesn't look like a Jersey Giant to me as that is a clear head spot indicating barring

Not sure about this one either....I agree at first I thought RIR or NH but the faint markings on the back.....hmmmmm...isn't really "chipmunk" enough for a true Dark Cornish? Nor any other true chipmunk type (Welsummer, etc.)....it may simply be a RIR/Production Red or Production New Hampshire with the barnyard mixing that hatcheries are known to produce. Time will tell on that one.

Since Light Brahma is the only feathered brown egg layer in their assortment, it should be that.

My guesses.
Lady of McCamley

Thank you both for your replies! I appreciate it. I will update pics as they grow. I wish I could keep them this small...so adorable. Forget the eggs. LOL

Back
Top Bottom